mtd snowblower

Old 02-15-09, 07:54 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
mtd snowblower

I just acquired a MTD 3.5HP 2 cycle snowblower. Its missing the auger. i cannot get the engine to start. it wants to but won't. i can see puffs of white smoke coming out of the muffler and it feels like it wants to start. here's the problem. compression is only 60 and it has what looks like STRAIGHT gas in it(didn't notice before attempting starting). the gas is almost clear and no sign of 2 cycle oil. is the engine shot or if i put a new carb and 2 cycle gas in it will it run. i paid $35 for the snowblower in hopes of fixing it. snowblower model 11A-240-800 Tecumseh engine model TH098SA and i think the type or code is 1726E.

EDIT i can get a new engine for $259.73 with shipping. then add 77.36 for the auger the total is 337.09 which means i have to sell it for $400 is it worth it. would i be able to sell it at that price. new engine is part number TEC-900392B

Last edited by flirty1; 02-15-09 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-16-09, 06:56 AM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
60 lbs compression is low, but should be enough to run. Probably will start hard, be low on power, but should run.
Drain ALL the gas in the tank and refill with your 2-cycle mix.
I don't know where you are located, but a new MTD like yours, but with a 4-cycle engine sells for $429.
I would see if I could get it started (new plug, a little mixed gas down the plug hole) and see what it sounds like.
New engine, I would not. You can get the parts to rebuild the engine fairly cheap. All you need is a set of rings and a gasket set. About $50. No valves or camshaft to worry about on a 2-cycle.

Old 02-16-09, 01:27 PM
F
drained the gas drained the carb. filled with 2 cycle gas. let it run though the lines to flush out the fuel filter. hooked the line back up to the carb. primed it and nothing. same as before. white smoke or mist comes out of the muffler but thats it. removed the spark plug could see a little bit of smoke coming out. put some 2 cycle gas in it.. nothing still won't start. how hard would it be to put new rings and a gasket. if i take the engine apart don't i have to worry about the bearings flying off in peaces.

Old 02-17-09, 11:53 PM
F
OK would this work. remove the muffler and cylinder head. remove the piston pin retainer ring and remove the pin. pull the piston put and install new rings. slide the piston back in put the pin and clip back in. would that work or no. do i need a special tool to remove the piston pin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: