craftsman tractor problems

Old 02-21-09, 12:50 PM
craftsman tractor problems

I own a craftsman dty 4000. The problem is I have several teenagers who think the lawnmower is a 4-wheeler. While changing the blades I noticed rub marks on the inside of both front tires from the mowing deck. Now the good part. When the steering wheel is straight both front tires are bowed out. Any one with any suggetions(other than getting rid of the teenagers) on what the problem is or what I can do would be gratly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-09, 08:12 AM
Post the model number of your tractor. It most likely begins with 917 and can be found under the seat.

Old 02-22-09, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by golfer01 View Post
I own a craftsman dty 4000. The problem is I have several teenagers who think the lawnmower is a 4-wheeler. While changing the blades I noticed rub marks on the inside of both front tires from the mowing deck. Now the good part. When the steering wheel is straight both front tires are bowed out. Any one with any suggestions (other than getting rid of the teenagers) on what the problem is or what I can do would be greatly appreciated.
The model # is 917.2736403.

Old 02-22-09, 09:34 AM
I do not recall ever seeing a tractor of this type where the deck has contacted the front tires. I would start by checking deck adjustment as shown in the owner’s manual to confirm deck is adjusted correctly.

Look in your owner’s manual at the parts list section for STEERING ASSEMBLY. Inspect each component on the tractor that is shown in the manual. Look for bent, disconnected, worn or anything out of the ordinary.

Purchase an inexpensive non-powered reel push mower and have the teens use it to cut grass a few times instead of using the tractor.

Here is a link to the owner’s manual if you do not have one:
http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0409677.pdf

Old 02-22-09, 09:36 AM
Your tie rod is bent. Sounds like they tried to run over a rock. You can remove it and try to straighten it or buy a new one.
Part # 171888 Sears price $27.81. I would also make them pay for it and make them help you fix it.

Old 02-22-09, 08:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, look at the rdo that goes from one wheel, under the front of the mower to the other wheel. This rod should be straight. Yours is bent. Pull it off and bend it back straight and it should fix the rubbing problem and the wheel toe-adjustment problem.

Old 02-23-09, 03:24 PM
Thanks for all the input. I will let you know how it turns out.
I can't wait to use "thier stuff" in the near future. I will take into consideration how the used "my stuff". Thanks again.