briggs rewind

Old 02-23-09, 11:09 AM
briggs rewind

Hi all
I have a 8 hp briggs on a snoblower the starter keeps grabbing the rewind and winding the cord up in the innerds.
I installed a new starter clutch and it still does it I cleaned the shaft with fine emery when I replaced the clutch.
I know some of these engs have a spring and a plastic button behind the cord reel this does not.
m/n190402
I hope someone can help me this is one big pain.
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-09, 06:12 PM
The problem is in the clutch or crankshaft. It's dragging on the ratchet drive and this is whats causing your problem. Check the crankshaft, it may be flared out on the end causing binding on the ratchet drive. You may need to file down the end of the shaft if it's flared, if not, try cleaning again with the emory, clean the inside of the ratchet drive and apply a light lubricant, such as 3 in 1, WD-40, Fluid Filim or some other light lube. Do not use grease or motor oil.

Also you should check the recoil starter assembly, if the blower housing is bent or deformed or if the starter is in any kind of bind it can also cause the starter clutch to grab and mess up the starter like you described.

Best of Luck....

Old 02-26-09, 04:06 PM
The starter had a ding in the sheet metal
I replaced the starter it now works like a nice one.
thank you very much tech
Bob