Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Any Real Mechanics Here?

02-23-09, 05:31 PM   #1  
Any Real Mechanics Here?

No offense to anyone but my questions gets un-answered.
I've got a Troy-Bilt snowblower Model#HSSK50-67414T with a thrown rod . The cpd-online manual is no help! Need to know how to correctly install new rod. Is the long side of the rod on the right or left? Does the piston need to be at TDC when installing rod? Also removed lifters without marking there location. Any more information is appreciated. TIA!

Sponsored Links

TX

02-23-09, 06:05 PM   #2  
If you are looking into the crankcase from the sump side, the long end of the rod would be to the right, with the bolt heads opposite the camshaft. This is the only way you can install the rod and have clearance for it to rotate past the connecting rod. If you install it in the opposite orientation, the rod would contact the cam shaft and prevent the engine from cranking over.

The piston does not need to be in TDC to install the rod, in fact it will have to be near Bottom position in order to install the connecting rod bolts. Be sure to torque rod bolts or you may have the rod come off after a short while.

BTW, there are many real mechanics on this forum, but like me many are from the south where we don't use snow blowers. I tend to skip over posts about snow blowers, because if it's not about the engine, I usually can't offer much help.

Best of Luck....

TX

02-24-09, 06:24 AM   #3  
Posted By: 30yearTech This is the only way you can install the rod and have clearance for it to rotate past the connecting rod.
Oops, it should read:

"This is the only way you can install the rod and have clearance for it to rotate past the camshaft."

Search this Thread