What guages for 5kva generator .... and how ?

Old 02-24-09, 02:02 AM
Question What guages for 5kva generator .... and how ?

I have acquired a 5kva 50Hz 240VAC 20.8A generator powered by a 10hp Robin-Subaru petrol engine.

There are NO guages fitted to the genset so I don't know if volts reach 220~240, what the Hz frequency is, what amps are being drawn.

Can I please ask your advice on what guages I should require and, most importantly, if I can be guided to relevant schematics for their assembly?

My budget is rather tight given the GFC so please be gentle...

Oh, and ..... sorry guys, here down under - what you refer to as "gasoline", we refer to it as "petrol".

Thanks mates.
Andrew.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-09, 03:26 AM
a hand held digital multimeter would let you check voltage and frequency under load. i don't see a need for permenantly mounted guages. some manual transfer switches have load or ameters built in. i run and check mine monthly with the water pump as the test load.

Old 02-24-09, 03:52 AM
Thank you Flopshot.

I best get me a new multi meter because the one I have only reads DCV, ACV, and Ohms.

I will rely on the shop sales person to suggest a unit for me.

Again, thank you.

Old 02-25-09, 03:45 AM
you're quite welcome. one other thing, i've added one of those inductive tachometer / hour meters to both of my larger generators. they're great for spot checking fulll load RPM at a glance and they're not expensive.