Tecumseh 10HP recoil starter cord replacement

Old 01-21-07, 11:29 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Can anyone give me some pointers on replaceing the recoil starter cord on a 10 HP Tecumseh engine? It is on a Snow King Snow blower if that helps. I have removed the recoil assembly but don't see a way to access the cord for replacement. The spring assembly appears to be pressed on. I hate to think I have to replace the entire assmblt just to replace the cord. Suggestions?

Old 01-21-07, 11:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is there a C clip on the shaft holding it together?

Old 01-21-07, 01:05 PM
S
Can you post the engine numbers?

Old 01-21-07, 05:54 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If all you need to do is to replace the rope (and not the spring and/or pulley) then there is no need to disassemble anything. You should see a knot at the pulley end of the rope still in the pulley. If not, then you must have had the rope pull (break) off cleanly and the knot must have disappeared. Having five feet of #4.5 rope at the ready with both ends burned and swiped (to prevent fraying) and a single overhand knot in one end (with little tail pulled through the knot) place the rewind starter upside down on your bench, while holding the pulley steady turn the housing (framework) of the starter clockwise as far as it will go, now hold the housing steady and back the pulley off as needed (never more than 7/8 turn back) so that the hole (tiny, the size of the rope) in the pulley is in line with the guide in the housing, thread the unknotted end of the rope into the pulley (inside outward) and then through the guide and pull the rope completely through, make a slip knot to temporarily keep the spring from retracting the rope back in to the pulley and then thread the rope through your pull grip and tie a double overhand knot and pull the knot into the pull grip knot cavity. You can then tug on the rope to let the slip knot to release and you're done.

Old 01-21-07, 08:04 PM
D
Cool

Thanks for the suggestions. I have replaced the cord by removing the knot and replaced it with the balance of the cord much as described by PUEY61. Still lots left. and it is working again. I will post the engine numbers when I return from this weeks travel as there must be an easier way.. Retheading the cord was NOT a straight forward effort.

There appears to be a c ring holding the rewind spring assembly together but that is behind the central tube that has been flared to hold all in place.

Thanks for your input.

Old 04-08-08, 12:46 PM
I searched high and low for some help with my recoil starter cord, then thankfully I found this forum. Thanks to the directions by Puey61, I was able to restring my starter cord and I'm now back in business for next year.
A big thanks to Puey.

Old 04-09-08, 06:10 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Glad to be here to help you. Thanks for the props.

Old 12-21-08, 10:21 AM
T
Fix cord rewind unit on Tecumseh Snow King

I have an Ariens Snowblower with a Tecumseh HSK60 or 70 motor (Snow King).

The cord broke at the bottom inside and I was able to fix it.

However, after pulling the cord to start the engine, the cord doesn't rewind into recoil unit like it used to. It was getting this way last winter too.

When I fixed the break in the cord, I couldn't see any spring to fix.

Can you give me some advice on how to do this and/or a link to a picture of fixing this unit.

thanks

Old 02-28-09, 10:44 AM
P

puey61!
Thanks for your input. It worked out 100%. I have taken photos of the individual steps.....I gladly forward them, when someone want to contact: pwedel@iprimus.ca
Kind Regards,
Peter Wedel, 705-527-7984

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: