Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh Gas Leak

03-01-09, 12:54 PM   #1  
Tecumseh Gas Leak

I have a MTD Snow Blower with a Techumseh HSK600 1627S engine. It runs good but, I have gas leaking from the main air bleed when not in use. I have replaced the carb needle, seat and float. Double checked the the float height at 11/64" this weekend and it still leaks. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

NH

03-01-09, 01:05 PM   #2  
Tecumseh engines are notoriuos for developing pin holes in the floats. I keep 5 in stock in my shop just for that reason. Remove the float and set it in a bowl of water. If it floats close to level(needle end will sink a little lower as that end is heavier) you are ok. If not, you need a new float. About $5 for a new float.

03-01-09, 01:41 PM   #3  
Tecumseh Gas Leak

Float is new. Anything else I can check?

NH

03-01-09, 06:04 PM   #4  
I would check to make sure the seat is seated all the way.
Remove the seat using a dentist pick, then, using a Q-tip sprayed with carb cleaner, clean the hole where the seat goes.
If the seat is not properly seated, gas can leak around the seat.

03-02-09, 07:38 PM   #5  
Was the seat properly installed? The groove needs to face down. I find the job easier with a pin punch slightly smaller than the bore and a spritz of WD40 or something similar. After install, make sure the little beggar is perfectly square in the bore.

03-12-09, 07:51 PM   #6  
Leak Fixed

Ok here is the story. I finally got to work on the thing last night. As it turns out the compressed air I used to clear the carb,pushed the seat down enough to make the carb leak. Disassembled the carb, cleaned the seat bore and reinstalled with a drop of SAE30 oil. Runs good no leaks. Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread