D Series Kohler 60kw Generator - Overcrank

Old 03-01-09, 03:37 PM
D Series Kohler 60kw Generator - Overcrank

D Series Kohler 60kw Generator built last year, has run for 300 hours flawlessly, developed the following problem: Engine fires up, settles down, the OVERCRANK light flashes, then flashes again as voltage goes to 440 (should be 480...tried to adjust the volt pot on the monitor box with no luck to adjust the output to 480 vac) vac & freq sets at 60 hz and quits. The overcrank light continues to flash.All in the span of about 10-15 seconds. One day, the generator worked fine, the next day when I went to start it, this is the condition I found it in. The generator is located on an island in the middle of no where in the Pacific. Have gone through all the connections insuring they are either clean or tight. All the grounds were checked for cleanliness and insured that they were tight. The circuit boards are conformal coated and were cleaned with IPA to remove any possible salt on them. Have adjusted the MPU. Took it out, wiped the grease off it, made sure it was centered on the tooth, screwed it down till it seated, unscrewed half a turn, and locked it down. It measures 6.8 vac when the engine is turning over. Checked the water, and also disconnected the water level sensor to see if it was the problem. No joy. Oil level is fine. Not too sure where to go after this problem. Messed up part to this problem is that the generator was delivered with out manuals. Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-09, 04:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check for power on the solenoid trigger wire after the engine starts up. If it is there, or a smaller voltage is present, it may be telling the monitoring circuit that it is cranking still, even after it has cranked and is running. Other than that, I have little to suggest. Did you call kohler and ask for manuals?