I need help

Old 03-02-09, 06:24 PM
I need help

I have a MTD 846 with a briggs and Stratton 18 twin power motor on it. I am looking for the serial number on the motor but can't seem to find it anywhere. Don't know if this will help but the model number on the tractor is 141-848H118/F141B1. Also if anyone can help me with this problem it cranks great with no plugs in it but it cranks REALLY hard with the plugs in it. Would it have a Compression release on it maybe ??? Any help would be very appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-09, 06:37 PM
The engine numbers are generally stamped into a rocker cover. The briggs site covers this, I think. If it cranks with the plugs out, & not with them in & your battery is good, this is usually a sign of a valve adjustment so the decompression can work properly. Roger

Old 03-02-09, 09:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is this a flathead opposed twin, or an OHV V-twin? If it's OHV, I'd say adjust the valves. If it's a flathead, I'd say service the starter and replace the drive end cap bushing.

Old 03-03-09, 06:04 AM
IPL for mower illustrates an opposed flat head twin, but does not give any model number.

I would suggest having the battery load tested, and check all connections to be sure they are clean and tight. If still exhibits this condition, I would suspect the starter.

Old 03-03-09, 06:58 PM
I put a bigger CCA battery in it verses the one that was in there. I went from a 110 to a 230 and it did crank alot easier. Didn't seem like it had the drag like the smaller CCA battery.

I would assume it is a flat head not an OHV. It doesn't say anywhere that it is a OHV.

Old 03-03-09, 07:53 PM
Now I have to ask the stupid question of why they went to compression release on small engines? Is it so they can put cheaper, weaker starters on or is it because we, as a nation, are getting too weak to pull a starter rope?
Mike

Old 03-03-09, 08:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They use the same starters on the big old twins without compression release. They just keep using big displacements combined with more efficient combustion chamber design and valving to cut down emissions that the compression gets higher earlier than the old engines, and the starter has a hard time muscling past it. If the engine had a larger diameter flywheel like a car has, the little starter wouldn't have any problem turning it, but it would make a big package out of a little engine. If they designed a starter to work without it, then folks trying to pull start a 14.5 engine would pull their shoulder out or flip the mower over trying to start it...so comp release is the solution. That's my take on it.