Toro 521 drive problems

Old 03-02-09, 06:32 PM
Toro 521 drive problems

Greetings;
I have a venerable Toro 521 that has a three speed selection gear. Recently, it will not self propel in third gear and only randomly in second. In the recent snow storm it seems that now first gear is staring to slip and give no pizzazz especially when I go to deep snow. Never had a problem with this before.
Is there any internal/external mechs that can be adjusted or does it sound like a new drive train needed? The old girls' engine runs great and still has alot of power. It still outperforms all my neighbors newer rigs with ease.

Any suggestions, and price thresholds, for fixing this rig gladly accepted.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-09, 06:41 PM
Please post the model number & serial number

Old 03-02-09, 07:31 PM
Drain the fuel tank & prop the old girl on her nose. Remove the trans cover & check the friction wheel. They aren't hard to replace & I think the Toro site has links to manuals for adjustment..If you post model & serial #s here, The Pros can tell you how to adjust you'r new friction wheel.. Roger

Old 03-03-09, 09:33 AM
serial & model

This is a Toro 521, model 38052, serial 8011xxx.( have a inbuilt avoidance against posting full serial numbers on ANYTHING on the Internet). Any guidance appreciated.

Old 03-03-09, 02:16 PM
I asked for the serial number because Toro asks for it to find any info. Your Toro is a 1990. 19 years old. My first inclination is the drive disc #37-6570. I am sure that is worn due to its age. A new one measures 4-1/2" o.d. Manual says to replace when it is worn 1/8". Being 19 years old, it is probably worn 1/4" or more.
Other things to look at on this snowblower are:
1). axle bushings.37-6850 If worn, they can move the axle out of position.
2).check the adjustment and bushings of the engagement rod. If bushings are worn, the rod won't fulley engage. If the adjustment is too loose, it won't fulley engage.
Had 1 in the shop in Jan that need new bushings and an adjustment.

Old 03-03-09, 07:51 PM
Indy, is this replaceable by me?

Indy, no slight receieved here. It is just, as I had stated, my ingrained adverdance to a serial number on the net.

Is this part replaceable by someone of normal skills or requires a shop?

Old 03-04-09, 05:37 AM
It is often difficult to offer assistance based on a written description of a problem. Model numbers are very much needed and often serial numbers.

Some equipment configurations vary by serial number and serial numbers are the only way to determine how to troubleshoot a specific problem. This is especially true with Honda products.

Why someone does not want to post a serial number is beyond me, unless there is something to hide. If you do not want to provide the information needed to help, then do not expect help.

Old 03-04-09, 06:28 AM
You can probably replace it yourself. Depends on how much time you want to put into it. Looking at the parts breakdown, which is not too detailed, you have to remove the shaft that the drive disc is bolted on. This can be time consuming. I suggest taking it to the shop.

Old 03-04-09, 11:27 AM
Indy

Indy;Beer 4U2
Thanks for your reply. I did manage to find a breakdown on the net and do believe that it will go to the machine doctor.

Airman;
You may be a moderator but that does not give you the right to infer that this is a stolen machine and that I have something to hide. So lighten up on your personal opinions or cease to be a "moderator"!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-09, 02:02 PM
Smile Indypower thanks!!

Indypower;Just wanted to say Thank You! That was the problm. The new gear is as you said 4 1/2 inches, my old one was down to 3 7/8ths! NOTHING, we had a lot of laughs at the shop that I utilize that it even worked at all!
It was a little awkward to get off without damaging the shear but I mamanegd to do it. NOw to reassemble before I forget what goes where (j/k!!)

Thnaks again saved me some bucks. Beer 4U2