Snapper riding mower does not move

Old 03-03-09, 05:07 AM
Snapper riding mower does not move

Greetings -

I have a snapper hi vac riding mower, old school. It was riding fine until yesterday while i was plowing drive way with it.

Not sure what happened, it starts and runs well...when in reverse or any forward gears it does not move. In addition when you place it in "Roll" it does not dis-engage and will not free roll. Placed on its back and when you you spin either wheel one way the opposite wheel rotates in the opposite direction. The shifter is a bit stiff but chain case does transverse axel. I have replaced drive disc....not sure what the heck is going on....granted i am not real mechanically proficient....HELP!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-09, 05:25 AM
please post model number

Old 03-03-09, 06:46 AM
It is from late 70's rear motor and has Briggs & Stratton. Motor series 190700 to 190799. Hope that helps.....

Old 03-03-09, 06:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most likely the chain has broken in the rear end. I'd pull the rear end out and open up the case on the right fender. There is a chain in here that breaks after time. A new one should be about $8. It's an easy fix. I also recommend replacing the axle boots (~10$ each) and possibly the axle seals. The bushing in the left fender may need replacing, and you'll need a quart of "00" grease available at most small engine shops. Check the other parts while you have it open and make sure the sprockets are ok. Some wear is ok, they can be half worn out and run another 10-20 years anyway with a new chain and boots and grease. Get a new gasket also for the gearcase, and use the whole quart of grease in the small and large chaincases.

The reason it won't roll is because the broken chain wraps around the sprocket and locks it all up.

Old 03-04-09, 04:20 AM
Thank You cheese i will stop this evening and purchase stated items. I will let you know....thanks again.