craftsman pressure washer wont start

Old 03-02-09, 11:01 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
craftsman pressure washer wont start

i have a craftsman 7 hp pressure washer 580.767700 (model # on ohv plate is 120412) which im trying to adjust the valves (the engine will not start,i rebuilt the carb,checked for spark, replaced the head gasket,and cleaned and lapped the valves,put in fresh gas all to no avail) the engine when i try to pull start turns easy then as i keep pulling the cord seems to become hard to pull (like high compression in cylinder) a back fire thru carb and exhaust.
I went to briggs and stratton web site and followed the online valve adjustment on engine close to mine but (as i could not find my exact engine)it still will not start,i did check compression and it is about 55 lb
thank for taking the time to read this and help me if you can
Paul

Old 03-02-09, 04:24 PM
Did the engine run before all this?? Are you setting the valves with the piston 1/4" past T.D.C. compression?? Almost sounds like the valves may be tight. Try a new spark plug first tho. Just because it has spark, doesn't always mean the spark plug is good.. Roger

Old 03-02-09, 06:17 PM
C
The increased starting effort is likely pressure building in the pump as you are propping it. If the gun is closed as it should be, the unloader is likely stuck.

Old 03-02-09, 09:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Also check the flywheel key to be sure it isn't sheared.

Old 03-04-09, 02:47 PM
D
I think i found the problem with my pressure washer i inquired with you,i removed the fan attached to my flywheel and noticed the shim was sheered so my timing was off due to this,just wanted you to know i found the prob,thank you for the support
Paul

Old 03-04-09, 04:04 PM
Did you remove the flywheel & find the key sheared, or a shim somewhere else?? If the key, this usually indicates the engine has seen a sudden stop (unlikley on a pressure washer) or the flywheel nut was loose. If it is the key between the crank & the flywheel, make sure to torque it to spec (~55 ft/lb) to keep it from happening again.. Roger

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: