Steering Problem

Old 03-05-09, 06:34 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Steering Problem

I'm trying to correct my sears lawn tractors steering, it skips on the sector gear when turning left.
I've ordered parts; steering shaft " with bushings, bearings, rings", also new sector gear and it still skips, I've looked for marks on gear and steering shaft, found nothing, I need assistace.

Old 03-05-09, 07:12 AM
I
Please post model number

Old 03-05-09, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Assuming you have the older style steering setup (need model#)...

The steering shaft support is the part that wears out and causes this to happen. Did you replace that? It's the black plastic "T" shaped piece at the end of the steering column shaft.

Old 03-07-09, 04:16 PM
D
Originally Posted by cheese
Assuming you have the older style steering setup (need model#)...

The steering shaft support is the part that wears out and causes this to happen. Did you replace that? It's the black plastic "T" shaped piece at the end of the steering column shaft.
Cheese, my model number" 917.254240", really hope this helps.

Thanks, Darkwing

Old 03-07-09, 06:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Ok, this one's even older than what I had in mind when I mentioned the shaft support. If you replaced all bushings and the sector gear and it still skips, then look for wear in the saddle that holds all this in place, make sure there are enough shims to keep the slack out between the gears, and check for general wear in all the moving parts. If it skips in one direction but not the other, then something is wiggling up and down or back and forth when you turn right and left. It should be fairly obvious what part is moving, allowing the gears to move away from each other when you watch it as you put pressure on the wheel to the right, then left, repeatedly.

Old 03-08-09, 04:26 AM
D
Thanks Cheese, I'll give this a try and let you know.

Darkwing

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: