John Deere STX38 Tractor

Old 03-13-09, 09:13 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
John Deere STX38 Tractor

I was just looking on Craigslist for a replacement lawn tractor for my 92 y/o dad to replace his 197? Montgomery Wards 12hp B&S tractor that smokes for 2 mins when first started and uses oil. I used it last fall to try to mulch the leaves and the engine is very tired. Died when going into a 6" pile of leaves. Found a John Deere STX38 and a 108 w/bagger for $650. I am looking for info on these. Specificlly what engine (brand) and size was used and is either a pressure lube? Also comments on which one is better overall. Kind of limited to a 38" deck as the door to the shed was built to accomendate the 38" deck on the Wards.
2 John Deere riding lawn mowers

Old 03-13-09, 12:15 PM
The model 108 is about 25 plus years old and has a 8 HP Briggs vertical shaft motor. The STX 38 is 15 plus years old and I believe has a Kawasaki motor in it (not sure). for $650 price range, I'd probably keep looking for something a little newer, but if used machines are scarse in your area, and these are the only 2 you can find, pick the one that looks to be in better condition. as far as durability goes they are approximately equal. Other brands to look for would be Cub Cadet, Simplicity, Ariens, Wheelhorse and better Deere models to look for in the same price range with a 38" deck would be the 110, 112, 210, 212, 214. Check Ebay for stuff local to you that you can go and actually look at, there should be lots of choices. Do an advanced search for "lawn tractor" per your zip code, price range, and brand name if you have a specific dealer that you get service from.

Old 03-13-09, 04:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I'd steer clear of the 108, and $650 is a bit much for the old stx38 unless maybe it comes with the yellow deck (better quality mower than the black deck model) and is in pristine condition. The STX38s came with kohlers commands. Good engines though.

Old 03-14-09, 02:16 AM
C
Stx 38

I have a John Deere STX 38. It has a Kohler engine, 14 hp, I believe. It is a good engine. It has an oil filter as well as 3 air filters. It has a pretty reliable electric starter as long as you charge the battery regularly. The battery is under the seat. Easy to maintain and dependable. Be careful, though, while mulching leaves. The muffler hangs under the engine at the very front of the mower. It can ignite dry leaves easily if they come in contact with the muffler. This mower is inherently easy to maintain as it utilizes belts to operate as opposed to hydraulics which can become expensive to maintain over time. This mower was available with two deck options. The one you want is yellow. I have heard nothing good about the other option. The nice feature for your father would be the bagger. It has two bags with easy to reach/hold handles for carrying and dumping. The lid for the bagger is also easy to latch. Mulches well but if you try to pick up too many leaves at once, the lower chute will clog. I hope this info helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: