Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Torque for Techumsh head bolts

CANADA

03-14-09, 12:27 PM   #1  
Torque for Techumsh head bolts

Does anyone know the proper torque for the cylinder head bolts on a 8Hp. engine.
Haynes small engine repair manual said L-head light duty engines 200 in-lbs
L-head and OHV heavy duty engines 20 ft-lbs

I torqed them the first tine to 30 lbs then went up to 60 lbs the first bolt snaped but I though it was the snaping of the torque wrench on the second bolt I relized it was the bolt snaping
While reading the manual and writing this I belive the 200 in-lbs realy repesents 20 ft-lbs and this is where I made my mistake

Sponsored Links

NH

03-14-09, 04:16 PM   #2  
200 inch pounds = 16.6666 ft lbs.

Torque Conversion Tables

Oh, best to use a dial or beam torque wrench to bring all bolts gradually to the same torque. Torque them in the proper sequence to 5ft. lbs, then go back and bring them up to 10ft lbs, then to 15ftlbs, then 1 last time to 16.5 ft.lbs.

CANADA

03-15-09, 01:11 PM   #3  
Posted By: indypower 200 inch pounds = 16.6666 ft lbs.

Torque Conversion Tables

Oh, best to use a dial or beam torque wrench to bring all bolts gradually to the same torque. Torque them in the proper sequence to 5ft. lbs, then go back and bring them up to 10ft lbs, then to 15ftlbs, then 1 last time to 16.5 ft.lbs.
Thanks indypower for your input
I am using my sons snapon torque wrench when I get 2 new bolts I will follow your instructions

Search this Thread