Electric generator comparisons.

Old 03-14-09, 04:03 PM
Electric generator comparisons.

Looking to buy a portable electric generator for stand-by power for my home. I do not have gas service to my residence so that is out and large propane tanks are banned in my area.
As of now I am looking at some Briggs and Stratton models that seem to be within my requirements and afforability.
How well does the B&S models compare to say Generac, Yamaha, etc.
I have been researching the net, but each vendor seems to tout the models that they sell and Consumer Advocate sites seem to be contradictory and/or confusing.

Any input appreciated. I am open between wattage of 6-10,000 running.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-09, 05:34 PM
The portables are really not designed for standby use but will do in a pinch. Briggs and Stratton makes very decent units in their Pro series. IMHO, the Elite series are not suitable, too light for continuous running, and the cheapo offshore are a waste of money for your needs. I am sure to get some flack for this. LOL
Have the house properly wired with a manual standby switch or panel. I cannot stress this enough. Don't just plug it in to the dryer outlet or wall socket in the garage to feed the main panel. This creates a serious fire and shock hazard.
Edit: I forgot to mention GFCI. If the generator is so equipped, it will not work with a GFCI equipped panel. The breaker will trip.

Last edited by CanuckRoy; 03-14-09 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-14-09, 07:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Keep in mind fuel consumption. How much gas do you want to keep at home, and in a major outage, gas stations can't pump either.
Several manufacturers seem to have fairly fuel efficient engines compared to others in the same wattage range.

Old 03-19-09, 12:36 PM
Hi Iím Rod. I work at Briggs & Stratton and felt that I could provide some insight to a product we make that might suit your needs. Briggs & Stratton manufactures a 7kw generator that runs on propane or natural gas. It is about the size of a Central Air Conditioner and designed to run on 2 gas grill propane tanks. You can run extensions cords or, preferably, purchase the recommended Transfer Switch. CanuckRoy is right, in that the best way to connect a generator is through a transfer switch.

I have provided a direct link for your reference. 7kW POWERNOW! Dual Mode : Products : Home Generator Systems Look to the far right of the web page for retailers if interested.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Old 03-19-09, 01:42 PM
lawnjockey

Rod;
Thanks for the site. I have looked at that but the draw back seems to be ( by my calculations) is that it appears to be only appox 5.19 (4.73 gal/.91 gph) hours run time per tank. However the site does not reference if the tanks run consecutively or jointly.
With overhead wires some outages here go for more than two days at a time. Would need more bottles than gas cans.
Will have to research further.
Thanks for the reference though.

Old 03-20-09, 08:51 AM
Hello. This generator does draw from both tanks simultaneaously so the run time is longer. The run time numbers I've heard is roughly 10-12 hours depending on load. One other option might be to utilize 40 lb cylinders as I beleive they have the same base footprint.
Good Luck in you search.

Old 03-20-09, 08:19 PM
lawnjockey

thanks for the comeback. 40 lb would not be feasible here as local ordinances prohibit anything over the standard barbeque tank. If so of the local busybodies have there way they will go also! Politics has become so grand lately!

Search this Thread