Briggs and Stratton engine

Old 03-15-09, 01:21 PM
Briggs and Stratton engine

Hi i have a briggs and Stratton engine model# 313777 type- 0112E1 16.5 HP and last year it died on me, started smoking really badly where it would just choke itself out and die, i replaced the needle in the carb and it worked a little better but still smoke but it ran so i used it, well now it just got progressively worse where it would smoke alot worse and choke itself out again so now i have gas in my oil, tried changing it and it just came back and it wont start, when it did start i noticed the gas and oil mixture pour out of the breather tube in the air filter housing and then choke the engine out, so at this point the engine wont even start, do i need a rebuild?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-09, 03:49 PM
Just change the oil and put a float and float valve in the carburetor - the pair is less than $10.00.

Make sure you change the oil, though. It wouldn't hurt to change it a second time after you see you have it fixed. It's cheap insurance you have all the gas out of the oil.

Old 03-15-09, 04:24 PM
i did that once, not the float but i did the needle and it still was smoking but not as much then it just got progressively worse and now it wont start at all

Old 03-15-09, 04:32 PM
check the float to make sure it actually does float.

Old 03-16-09, 08:21 AM
ok, the float floats so now what?

Old 03-16-09, 08:47 AM
OK so now we know that the float does float.
Using a Q-tip sparyed with carb cleaner, clean the needle tip and clean the seat.
Also, make sure the fuel solenoid (located on the bottom of the carb) is working. With the solenoid out, ground the threaded end, plug in the plug and turn the key on and watch the plunger on the end of the solenoid. With no power to the solenoid, the plunger should be out. when powered, the plunger should pull back in.
This shuts off the gas when engine is not running.
This could be your problem. Solenoid not shutting off.
And while you have the solenoid out and the Q-tips, clean the seat for the solenoid plunger.
Also, make sure the choke is fully opening and not sticking at 3/4 open.

Old 03-16-09, 09:50 AM
the solenoid does work, i know that, ill try cleaning up the seat and needle

Old 03-16-09, 10:05 AM
also is there anything else you can think of that may be causing this? ill try what you told me, just thinking ahead

Old 03-16-09, 08:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If gas is getting in the oil, it is because the needle isn't seating in the seat. Clean the seat area well as indy mentioned. Take care to not put a scratch on the seat anywhere. Don't worry about the solenoid, it cannot cause the problem you're having and it sounds like it's working fine.

Old 03-23-09, 10:52 AM
ok, cleaned the carb out today, the float floats, the needle and seat operate properly, and the solenoid works havent put the carb back on the motor yet but will soon, also im draining the oil and gonna refill to proper level, so we'll see if she'll fire up, hopefully

Search this Thread