Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacement Engine

VA

03-16-09, 06:59 AM   #1  
Replacement Engine

I have located a replacement engine for my mower.

Presently,it has a 42 inch B&S engine #287707 and model type 42910X92a I found this engine on Ebay but I'm not sure if it is a fit.

replacement here

Can anyone guide me.

Sponsored Links

NH

03-16-09, 07:48 AM   #2  
will it fit? probably. But need your engine code number,too.
Did you fully read the auction? It states that this engine is NOT running.
What is wrong with your engine?

VA

03-16-09, 08:30 AM   #3  
my engine runs but there is an oil leak, and no muffler. I di not see where it said "not running" but I had planned on just swapping the parts that would correct the issues on mine.

NH

03-16-09, 09:00 AM   #4  
Quote from the auction:

Fuel Tank and muffler not included

Operators manual not included

This engine will fit in many applications. It is the buyers responsibility to make sure that the engine will fit their application. Engines are shipped without oil in the crankcase. Oil must be added before use.

Among others, this engine will replace the 28N707-0160 engine.

Condition: We have not done any diagnostics on it to see what is wrong. We do not know what it will take to fix it.

The photo's are "stock" images of this engine. The photo's do not show the actual engine you will receive.

Note: This is a non-working engine. You are buying it "AS IS".

VA

03-16-09, 10:13 AM   #5  
Oh...ok....I did not read all the way thru. but if I were to get it would would it be useful for what i need, disregarding the muffler.

NH

03-16-09, 02:24 PM   #6  
depends on exactly what you need. The engine you are looking at is $50 plus shipping. I dont know where you are located, but seller is in DesMoine, Iowa. Shipping will probably cost you $25. $75 for the engine shipped.
Depending on where the oil leak is, Head gasket $8, Valve cover gasket $4, Oil seal $5.50, Complete gasket set (includes oil seals) $32., Muffler $52. (still gonna need the muffler).
$17.50 vs $75?
I would not trust the Ebay engine as they did say they don't know what is wrong with it. You may end up with more problems than what you have now.

VA

03-16-09, 06:29 PM   #7  
well everytime after use there is a puddle of oil collected on the crankshaft pulley. Of course no muffler, the mufffler that was on there broke off and took the threads with it. Not sure if it can be welded back on. The linkage to the choke and carburetor is also no good. The mower will drop out every so often, until I physically move it to "wide open" or enough to run with out dropping out.

But still cuts good, nice and even, no smoking and it'll start right up.

So I am looking to replace the engine or get the top half of the block, so I cal reinstall a muffler and take care of the oil leak. Also, having a few spare parts always good.

So that is why I asked.

Search this Thread