Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

engine swap

03-16-09, 08:38 AM   #1  
engine swap

hi, i have a riding lawn mower with a 16.5 HP engine thats is currently not running, trying to fix it but thats another post,i do have another riding mower, an older one that has an 11Hp motor in it that runs like a top, if the shafts were the same size could i bolt that up to my 16.5 hp rider? what would be the difference because of horsepower?

Sponsored Links

NH

03-16-09, 08:56 AM   #2  
as long as the length of the shaft and the bolt pattern(for mounting) is the same, you could. But you also have to think about electrical connections and pullies. Are the pullies spaced the same and same diameter? And you will be loosing 5.5 hp.
Why not just use the old mower?

03-16-09, 10:01 AM   #3  
The old mower is pretty much junk, the deck is falling off and tires are screwed up but its really old, im not worried about the electrical connections as the 16.5 hp mower already caught on fire and melted all the wiring so i had to rewire it so i know where the connections go, and im hoping the pulleys line up or are the same size i havent really looked into it, i was just wondering if the less horsepower would cause the mower to stall or be too much of a load for that motor, which i dont cut real tall grass anyways, so what will losing the 5.5 hp do? will i even notice it?

FL

03-16-09, 03:37 PM   #4  
You didn't mention what size deck is on this unit ?

The 11hp would run a 36"/38" with no problem, It would be just a little under powered on a 42" but doable if the grass is not too tall. Anything over 42" would be too much for the little 11hp....

Good Luck

03-17-09, 12:40 PM   #5  
The deck that the 11hp is on now is like a 38 but the one i want to put it on is a 42, i do my grass often and it never gets very tall so it sounds like i should be ok but im gonna try and fix the motor thats on it first but if i cant i will consider this swap, thanks for your help

Search this Thread