Good Excuse to buy a new line trimmer?

Old 03-16-09, 12:23 PM
doc
Good Excuse to buy a new line trimmer?

I have 6 year old 32cc Craftsman weekwacker. I tried to start it yesterday and when I pull the rope it just spins free. Is this the clutch gone bad?

Does it make sense to have it fixed or should I use this as an excuse to tell my wife I need to buy the new Stihl I've been looking at? I know my wife will ask me if the cost of fixing the old one is more than it's worth. Any help here?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-09, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator
You need an excuse?

Just drive away for 30 min or so..come back and tell her they said $150 to repair the Craftsman, more than its worth.

Or...no parts are available..they have a new vendor.

Or...Durn it, someone stole the old whacker out of the back of the truck while I was buying flowers for you.

Need anymore....I have a ton..

Old 03-16-09, 08:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Probably the little dogs on the flywheel that are supposed to catch when you pull the rope are stuck. You can probably stick a thin screwdriver in to the flywheel to tap them loose and spray a little wd40 on them and let it ride. Might even bump the engine area with a block of wood and free them up.

Old 03-16-09, 08:27 PM
Group Moderator
Had to fix those on the last Craftsman I had; they liked to get rusty/cruddy and wouldn't do their job.

Old 03-16-09, 08:56 PM
I like GunGuy's response the best. I don't have a lot of patience with the low end equipment.

Old 05-01-09, 08:55 AM
doc
I love gunguy's excuses. I'll have to remember those....

turns out, I spent a few days getting repair estimates - hoping for at least one excuse - (and by the way, took it in my suv, left it unlocked hoping someone would steal it).

On a lark a couple of days later tried it and it started right up. The only difference I could find was that it warmed up - as cheese suggested the dogs must have been frozen.

Damn...... gotta live with this thing for a while longer.

thanks, guys!

Old 11-06-09, 10:58 AM
doc
Quick update on my adventures with my Craftsman line trimmer. I used it for a while longer, then pulled the starter cord out of the thing. I took it apart and was doing fine until I let loose the recoil spring. I futzed with it for hours, gave up, and talked my wife into a Stihl. She thinks I broke the old one purposely...... maybe so.

Old 11-08-09, 02:05 PM
I've never had much luck with gas power equipment from craftsman. Definately go with the stihl. If you want to go cheaper go with an Echo. I have two echo's and a stihl never had a problem. Husqvarna makes pretty good equipment, but I have heard that husky trimmers are a beast to start. With craftsman gas power equipment......

Old 11-09-09, 02:13 PM
doc
Yeah, the Craftsman was a cheap piece of crap - although in its defense it did last 4 years.

I love the new Stihl for lots of reasons. It was much more expensive, but it's WAY more powerful and easy to start. I got the easy load head and it IS easy to load. AND I now only have one can of fuel for my tiller, chainsaw, and trimmer!

Old 11-16-09, 07:42 AM
Which trimmer did you get? Im looking for a new stihl, but can't decide which one...

Search this Thread