Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Grinding Noise from the gear/drive-Transmission of a John Deere L100

03-17-09, 12:57 AM   #1  
Grinding Noise from the gear/drive-Transmission of a John Deere L100

I have a John Deere L100 ride mower and recently the gear /drive transmission has gradually developed a metallic-grinding sounding noise when its in gear and in motion. Sounds like there is no oil or lubrication in the gear assembly, though the dealer has indicated that its a sealed assembly??

Can someone explain what has and is happening to the gear transmission on my L100 and why its progressively getting noisier? Help!!
Thanks Geoff

Sponsored Links

FL

03-17-09, 04:09 PM   #2  
Geoff,

It sounds like this transaxle has seen better days, When bushing/bearings wear it causes gears to wear. Once gears wear they start grinding, These transaxles do come packed with the proper amount of grease to give a reasonable life spand.

I don't believe you could repair this grinding one for the price of this new replacement.

Scroll to the page bottom, The Spicer 4360-149 is a direct replacement;

Engine Parts & Accessories - smallenginedistributors.net - Welcome to Small Engine Distributors. [email protected]*or [email protected] - www.sedkc.com & smallenginedistributors.net - Over 42 years in business, Small Engine Distribut

Good Luck

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-18-09, 08:24 PM   #3  
You might want to check the pulleys related to the transmission belt. It could be that the bearings in one are going bad and causing the noise you hear.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread