Yard Machine Push Mower

Old 03-17-09, 12:06 PM
Yard Machine Push Mower

Ok Have an older Yard Machines push mower with a 4hp B&S engine on it. I converted it to run on propane. What implications could this have on the engine? I noticed that it does appear to run a bit hotter than on gasoline. It's the B&S engine with the gas tank attached under the carb.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-09, 03:46 PM
*********************bump*****************

Old 03-18-09, 05:59 PM
Well Cory,

I'm not up on LP or Propane conversions, But if the engine is running hotter than normal it would most likely eventually burn it's self up.

A gas powered engine will run a little hotter if the fuel air mix is running lean, Can you richen the propane mix and see if that helps ?

Good Luck

Old 03-18-09, 06:27 PM
I know very little, but I do know that Propane burns slower & with less energy than gasoline. That is why most conversions had to have the ignition timing advanced about 20 degrees. You cannot do this on most moderen small engines & may never get it to run properly.. I had this issue with an edger on propane @ the city I used to work for, & unless you can advance the timing, It'll never run right. Why do you need a lawnmower to run on propane???? Roger

Old 03-18-09, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
That is why most conversions had to have the ignition timing advanced about 20 degrees. unless you can advance the timing, It'll never run right.

Hey Roger, If timing is a issue this may help with solving the problem ?

GoKartRacing.comOff Set Timing Key

Old 03-18-09, 08:44 PM
as far as running on propane, the carb on the mower is screwed up and it needs a brand new one, so instead of buying a new carb, I just converted it to run on propane. It runs pretty smoothly, I have a video on youtube of it running. just search fro crazycory25.

Old 03-19-09, 05:40 PM
31ytech, I never knew anything like that was available.. Thats something thats great to know.. Thanks for letting me know about them, as the edger has never ran properly since new.. Thanks,Roger

Old 03-19-09, 07:30 PM
No problem Roger, I found out about them some 10yrs ago when my boss's son started racing carts.....

Cya

Old 03-19-09, 07:41 PM
Saw the video, seems like a cool idea, however I don't think many people will want to add an additional 30+ pounds to a mower thay have to push. Have a good one. Geo

Old 03-19-09, 07:55 PM
To Geo... lol...no...I'll tell you that was a bear to push around the yard...I'm going to use like one of those torch cylinders. I've been getting little ideas here and there. I'll have to get a different regulator obviously, but that should be easy to get at a welding supply shop. I'd rather pay for one of those torch cylinders as opposed to a gallon of gasoline. Although today I did something and now it won't start...so tomorrow I'm going to have to tear it all apart again and figure out what I did...the only thing I can think of is that I got water into the intake. But I'm off for now.

Cory

Old 03-20-09, 10:19 AM
You can get an attachment from Harbor Freight to fill the small tanks using the larger tank.
However, I woke up in the middle of the night and thought someone is going to hurt themselves with that thing, the engine is stopped using the kill switch on the blade brake but doesn't shut off the gas flow, someone forgets to shut off the gas and puts the mower in the garage and then someone decides to step out to the garage to have a smoke and.......... Have a good one. Geo

Old 03-20-09, 10:22 AM
i don't shut it off with the bale. i shut it off at the fuel supply itself. i had that same fear, so i have the bale held down that way i don't forget to shut the fuel supply off.

Cory