Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Volts & Amps out of Briggs & Stratton Solid-State Ignitions?

03-18-09, 08:21 AM   #1  
Volts & Amps out of Briggs & Stratton Solid-State Ignitions?

Excluding the spark plug, anyone know how many volts & amps come out at the end of the ignition coil for single-cylinder B&S engines? And does the output vary by engine (eg 4hp vs 18hp) or are they all the same?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

FL

03-18-09, 06:16 PM   #2  
Wolfy,

This should cover your questions;

How does the Magnetron Ignition System function? How can it be tested?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-18-09, 07:29 PM   #3  
The voltage can vary, and is very high. It can be in excess of 20,000 volts. The amperage is low. What are you trying to figure out? You're not trying to connect a voltmeter to the plug wire are you?...?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

03-19-09, 02:03 PM   #4  
Thanks guys.

31Y, I've been gazing at that page for the past 2 weeks lol I thought there would be more exact figures, especially from the manufacturers.

cheese, I've got a magneto & flywheel off of a disassembled 4hp Briggs, and was seeing what kind of science experiments could be done with it - like hooking the flywheel up to a stationary bicycle to power something. All depends on how much power they put out. 20,000 volts with 8 or more amps is the ideal output but couldn't find any info on whether these little magnetos put out that much... and if they did... which ones.

Search this Thread