Cfraftsman rider engine swap

Old 03-18-09, 08:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cfraftsman rider engine swap

I have an AYP Craftsman rider that has a 15hp kohler OHV with a mechanical fuel pump. The engine has let go and I have a 18HP twin briggs I would like to put on the rider.
The rider has a rear fuel tank, will the diaphragm fuel pump on the briggs do the job?

I will get numbers today but would also like to know about pulleys matching. The briggs is off a MTD with gravity PTO and 7spd variable pulley/transaxle.
The craftsman rider has an electric PTO and hydro drive.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-09, 09:27 AM
The fuel pump will work just fine, You will need to measure crankshaft diameter and length and compare between the two.

Good Luck

Old 03-28-09, 07:57 AM
The crank matches
I would like to be sure of the wiring and avoid any assumptions.

Briggs has red and black wires paired with the diode in the red wire. Also a single black from engine into yellow.

Kohler has yellow and black paired with diode in the black wire, and a single white.

Single wires = kill

Paired wires= alternator

If I match the paired wires, diode to diode, and single wire to single, can I splice in the engine connector and otherwise trust the chassis electrical to work?

Old 03-28-09, 01:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, if you connect the diode wire to the same wire the kohler diode wire went to, then it will work the same. The kill wires also work the same. Might be a fuel shutoff solenoid as well to connect.

Old 03-28-09, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Yes, if you connect the diode wire to the same wire the kohler diode wire went to, then it will work the same. The kill wires also work the same. Might be a fuel shutoff solenoid as well to connect.
Thanks cheese,
There is an extra wire on the kohler for the fuel solenoid but the briggs does not have one. Can I just dead head that wire or is it part of the grounding circuit?

Old 03-28-09, 05:57 PM
You don't need to worry about it.

Old 03-28-09, 05:59 PM
Just dead head it, But make sure it's insulated so it won't short to ground. It's hot all the time when the switch is in the run position.

Old 03-29-09, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the replies all.
This went a lot smoother than I had expected. I have it mounted, belts on, and a custom throttle cable, and turn key to start and sucking fuel from the rear tank.
Just need to button up the shrouds and route fuel lines and wiring...should be a good mower for $0.00