Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Oil/Fuel mixture for old chain saw

NC

03-19-09, 09:56 AM   #1  
Oil/Fuel mixture for old chain saw

I've got an old Homelite Super XL chain saw from back around 1970 that I would like to get running again. Its been stored in a reasonably dry garage for at least a decade since it was last used. Before trying to start it up, I've got a couple questions.

1) Back then they recommended mixing 2-cycle oil and gas at a 1:16 ratio. With today's 2-cycle oils, should I use that old ratio or should I use the thinner ratios recommended for today's oils? Or is there some middle-ground compromise?

2) Since it hasn't had any fresh lubrication for quite some time, do I need to be concerned with the old oil coating the inner parts being dried and gummed up? Should I open it up and clean it? Do I need to relubricate everthing manually before trying to start it? If so, what would be a good lubricant to use?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

NH

03-19-09, 01:59 PM   #2  
Today's 2-cycle oil has advanced so much. Run a 50:1 mix. Back in the 70's, regular motor oil was all that was available.
Today's 2-cycle oils are made to burn cleaner (motor oil was never made to be burned). 50:1 smokes less, starts easier, fouls plugs much less. I run 50: in my snowmobile. In 1975 I was running the 16:1 and had to carry 4 sets of plugs with me. Now, I can ride a full season (2500 miles) on the same plugs.
I would squirt a little 2-cycle oil down the plug hole and pull it over a few times, then another squirt and install the plug.
I would also clean the carb(soak it) and put a kit in it along with a new plug. To make it start easier, squrit a oil gas mix down the plug hole.

03-19-09, 05:20 PM   #3  
If you are going to redo the carb, replace the fuel line and filter while you are at it. They are likely deteriorated.

NC

03-20-09, 09:48 AM   #4  
Thanks for the help. I'll be working on it this weekend.

Search this Thread