Battery's Going Dead

Old 03-19-09, 12:33 PM
Battery's Going Dead

Hi. I have a Craftsman LT1000 with a 20 horse twin Briggs and Stratton engine mod 407677. I put new batteries in and they only last 3 months, if that. Volt gauge says 13 on the mower. Sometimes it will start, but walk away for an hour and it won't start. How do I test to see if it is charging? Could it be the starter cellanoid sticking and draining the battery sometimes? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-09, 01:42 PM
The starter soleniod sticking will cause the starter to stay engaged. You should be able to hear that. starter solenoid is not your problem.
Sounds more like a problem with the starter.
Please post model number. should look like 123.456789 and can be found under the seat.

Old 03-20-09, 10:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Crank it up and run at full throttle. Check voltage at the battery...should be 13.5 or more volts. If so, shut it off, and disconnect the negative battery cable. Clip a test light between the cable and the battery. Does it light up? If so, you have a drain on the battery. Post back and we'll go from there.

Old 03-22-09, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the help. I'll do the test on the lead and see if it's draining the battery. I would have replied earlier but I had problems with my password.

Old 03-22-09, 05:23 AM
Originally Posted by 4d 277 View Post
Sometimes it will start, but walk away for an hour and it won't start.

The above sounds like the valves are in need of adjustment, Just had one in the shop Friday with the same exact complaint.....Found nothing wrong with the electrical system, Adjusted the valves and charged the battery (low from hard cranking) and shipped it out.

Good Luck

Old 03-22-09, 05:36 AM
Thanks. I'll check that, but it seems to start fast. Minimum cranking. By the way - does anyone know how much horsepower is in a 190 cc 6.5 lb torque Briggs engine? Thanks.

Old 03-23-09, 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by 4d 277 View Post
Thanks. I'll check that, but it seems to start fast. Minimum cranking. By the way - does anyone know how much horsepower is in a 190 cc 6.5 lb torque Briggs engine? Thanks.
A Kohler Courage XT engine 173cc, 7ft lbs torque is 4.5 hp. I would guess yours is in the area of 4.5 - 5.5 hp.
I find it strange that B&S uses torque rating on their lawn mower engines when the norm has been horsepower. Yet, all other engines they rate their horsepower.

Search this Thread