Craftsman YS4500 dies when engaging snowblower

Old 03-19-09, 12:56 PM
Craftsman YS4500 dies when engaging snowblower

I have a YS4500 craftsman mower with the 21hp Kohler engine. The only numbers I can find under the seat don't match up to anything I can find on the internet. The numbers on the sticker are 197942, 351-0510, and 6100H50136. I believe it's a 2005 or 2006 model.

Anyway, on to my problem. I have the snow blower attachment and was just starting my neighbors driveway when I started smelling something like burning rubber and the engine started bogging down real bad. I immediately disengaged the PTO/whetever you call it and looked into it. The snowblower seemed fine, it moved freely when I tried it. The belts all appeared to be routed fine. Again, nothing obvious. It only bogged down with the PTO engaged.

I drove it home and parked it thinking I'd look into it the next day. It's been a month now. I think it still had problems when I took the snowblower belt off, but I can't remember for certain. If need be, I an go out and try it again. I noticed the oil level is low, so I thought I'd give it an oil change before firing it back up again.

Any ideas? Could a low oil level cause this? I just remembered that the drive pulley coming off the engine wasn't turning much. I touched it and it took off, but then slowed down/stopped again shortly after.

Thanks for any input. If you need any more information, please let me know.

Also, does anyone know where I can download a owners or parts manual for this tractor?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-09, 01:38 PM
The model number will look like 123.456789 and should be under the seat on the seat or on a panel under the seat.
The burning smell was most likley the belt burning.

Old 03-19-09, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by indypower View Post
The model number will look like 123.456789 and should be under the seat on the seat or on a panel under the seat.
The burning smell was most likley the belt burning.
Thanks for the input. I looked all over under the seat, but couldn't see anything. I'll look again in the morning though. I was pretty sure it wasn't a belt issue, but I will investigate it some more. I've been wrong one or two other times in my life.

Thanks again.

Old 03-20-09, 01:21 PM
After a bit more searching, I noticed that the tag was hiding under an aftermarket bracket for a canopy that the previous owner put on.