Craftsman Garden Tractor stall and backfire

Old 03-19-09, 05:40 PM
Craftsman Garden Tractor stall and backfire

I bought a used craftsman garden tractor with a kohler engine. It worked great last summer (my first summer) then when fall came the tractor started backfiring and then stalling and refusing to restart. I have replaced the plugs and made sure clean fuel is in the tank. I really have no prior small engine repair experience and can't afford to have someone look at it right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is model # 917.272962

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-09, 10:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you need to clean the carburetor. Remove the bowl and see if there is any junk and/or water in it.

Old 03-22-09, 08:32 AM
Backfiring is usually caused by a bad condenser on the coil. The points get overheated and the backfires begin. I suggest replacing the points and condenser that's hooked to the points and usually on the coil. Easy fix if that's it. Gap the points at .018-.020 Troy

Old 03-22-09, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by troywhitford View Post
Backfiring is usually caused by a bad condenser on the coil. The points get overheated and the backfires begin. I suggest replacing the points and condenser that's hooked to the points and usually on the coil. Easy fix if that's it. Gap the points at .018-.020 Troy
Good advice if it had points. His engine is an 04 model. Electronic ignition. I agree with Cheese clean the carb. Make sure the main jet openings are all clear. Look carefully as there may be a pin hole in the threaded section that 90% of the people seem to miss.

Search this Thread