Snapper blades

Old 03-20-09, 01:11 PM
Snapper blades

I've got a Snapper rear engine rider in...model - 28122BVE, s/n - 50155242, 28" cut, 12.5 hp Briggs Intek. I've got a question about which blade should be used. The blade that is on the mower now is "Y" shaped on the ends...I think it's a hi-vac blade. The owner has the discharge blocked. They say that the grass comes out in "clumps"...don't they need a straight blade? Isn't the "Y" shaped blade suppose to used with the discharge open?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-09, 02:10 PM
Snapper shows the Y blade as "Ninja Recycling Blade-Quad edge" and to be used with side chute cover. All 4 blade edges need to be sharp.
Clumping could be a couple of problems:
1). Current blades are too dull.
2). Grass is too high betweeen mowings.
3). Mowing when grass is wet.
4). Belt for blade worn/slipping causing the blade to spin too slow..

Old 03-20-09, 04:46 PM
Just want to add to Indy's list,

I've have customers complain about the same thing (all brand units). The first thing I ask them is where they are running the throttle control at. Eighty percent of the time they say half or three quarters of the travel. I check the unit over and find nothing wrong then tell them to run the throttle wide open for maximum blade tip speeds, If the unit travels faster than they want to go lower the speed selector......

Old 03-20-09, 05:40 PM
I find it amusing that so many people run their equipment at part throttle then complain about performance. "But it makes too much noise". "I don't want to wreck it".

Old 03-20-09, 05:59 PM
as mentioned the Y blade is a mulcher. if side discharge is desired go to the standard blade. if bagging install the lift wings. a Snapper with lift wings will suck the bugs out of the lawn.

Old 03-20-09, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by CanuckRoy View Post
I find it amusing that so many people run their equipment at part throttle then complain about performance. "But it makes too much noise". "I don't want to wreck it".
I had a few customers complain this winter about snowblowers not throwing snow as far as they were told it would. Asked then to show me the position of the throttle lever when they were blowing. 95% of them were running at 3/4 throttle or less.
When these engines are "working", they are made to run at full throttle. You will do more damage to the equipment running at 3/4 throttle than at full throttle.

Old 03-21-09, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the valuable information! Dose anyone know where I might find a repair or service manual (online) for the above Snapper rear engine rider?

Old 03-21-09, 08:32 PM
You can find a parts and owners manuals here:
Snapper Operator's Manuals, Set-Up Instructions, Illustrated Parts Lists

service manuals for anything are rare to find on-line due to the fact that most manufacturers get big $$$ for them and they do not want you repairing your own equipment.