FS 80 kinda runs again

Old 03-21-09, 09:30 AM
FS 80 kinda runs again

Got the Stihl FS 80 carb - Zama S26A- rebuild kit in place. Adjustments per this site 1 1/4 turns out. Fuel pick up replaced. New plug. Now is hard to start repeatedly. Runs best with the choke engaged, but smokes and I am not sure I am getting the power I was before. Don't want to trash the whole outfit and needed some advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-09, 04:56 PM
Was it hard to start before the kit was installed??? The lever for the needle valve has an adjustment for it. Did you use the old lever or put the new one from the kit in without adjusting it?? Did you remove the muffler to check for carbon in the spark arrestor & the exhaust port as well as taking a light & looking into the exhaust port while SLOWLY turning the enging over?? Look for scoring on the piston & cylinder & ring while doing this... A long shot,but the crankshaft seals could also be leaking, Is this an older saw that has sat for a while??? ..Roger

Old 03-22-09, 05:56 AM
The lever for the needle valve has an adjustment for it. Did you use the old lever or put the new one from the kit in without adjusting it??

This was news to me. I used the new needle and didn't see an adjustment. After my post yesterday I was able to run the thing, with good power BUT only with the choke engaged. Less smoke and it ran for a good hour. Cranking seemed to require the throttle to be maxed. The other steps you listed were also done before yesterday, thanks to this blog. Thanks for the help. Ken

Old 03-22-09, 07:30 PM
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear... I was asking about the lever that attaches to the needle, there is an adjustment on the height of this. I'm not sure what it is, but there is a guage that Zama has that helps with this adjustment...If you used the lever from the kit, it will probably need to be adjusted.... Roger

Old 03-25-09, 10:53 AM
Thanks Roger. I actually found some instructions on a site, I think Stihl itself, about adjustments. Will try to tune it up this weekend. Thanks again for the response. Next is to tackle the BG55 blower.
Ken

Last edited by Kwalkent; 03-25-09 at 10:54 AM. Reason: next step
Old 03-25-09, 03:54 PM
The manual in the last link below explains how to set the metering lever without the ZAMA tool. Do this and adjust the carburetor to see if it will run normally.

If the choke is still required to run the engine, you may have a clogged idle port. Look in the manual below under the heading “IDLE OPERATION”. The idle circuit has three ports; one or more may be clogged. Remove the low “L” speed needle and spray carburetor cleaner in the L needle hole. If the holes are not blocked you will see cleaner spray out of each hole. This procedure is mentioned in the manual under the heading “WELCH PLUG”. The term “progression holes” in the manual, is a term used for all three idle ports, inclusively.

These links should help with the carburetor:

USA Zama : Service Tips

http://www.zamacarb.com/pdfs/TechGuide_2007.pdf

Old 03-26-09, 10:58 AM
Exactly what I found in my search. Tried the carb cleaner through the L port and it ran like a dream. Also checked the adjustment of the needle valve and it was OK. Also put some carb cleaner through the BG55 carb- unfortunately I had not removed the primer mechanism and the bulb "melted". Another trip to the store!

Search this Thread