Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowblower fix

03-21-09, 10:58 AM   #1  
Snowblower fix

I have a snowblower that broke a shear pin on one of the augers, but the middle part of the bolt is rusted into the axle. I am in the process of taking the augers and axle out to better get acess and get the pin out, but cannot get the axle to come out of the housing. Snowblower is split in half, friction plate is off the drive axle, and I am looking at what appears to be a splined piece of the axle sticking through a bearing that rests in the front part of the housing assembly, I would expect the axle to just slide out but it won't, some not so friendly persuasion with a rubber mallet has not helped at all. This is a Craftsman 247.886640 if it makes a difference. Any word of advice?

Thanks,

Eric

Sponsored Links

NH

03-21-09, 01:30 PM   #2  
Sounds like you are doing it the hard way. There should be no need to pull the auger out just to replace a shear pin. You should have been able to turn the impeller enough to line up the hole in the auger with the hole in the shaft toward the front so you could drive out the broken piece with a punch.
But since you have gone this far, you need to remove the bolts that hold the gear case together. There is a gear on the shaft that is bigger than the shaft so it will not come out thru the opening for the shaft. When you re-assemble it, you have to use RTV sealer on the gear case halves and refill the gear box with "00" grease. And be careful of the auger gear. That is only brass.

Search this Thread