Diagnosis Help Please

Old 03-24-09, 07:54 AM
Diagnosis Help Please

I have a Sears Snow Blower about 4 - 5 years old with 6.5 hp briggs and stratton intek motor. It has only been used literally 2 - 4 times each year.

Last fall Sears sent out a guy who replaced a heat shield under recall and did a free oil change while he was at it.

Well, we didnt get much snow this year so it sat until a couple weeks ago when we got 10 inches. At the end of doing my driveway which is kinda big it stalled out. I was done except for a 6 foot strip between my 2 cars so I stopped there.

I then noticed oil rainbow effect all over my driveway. As it turns out one of the yellow plastic oil filler plugs was missing and there was no oil in the motor.

It has a hand start in addition to the electric and you can not pull the hand cord. I am assuming the motor is seized due to lack of oil.

Someone told me fill the cylinder with wd-40 for a day or 2 then with oil and check to see if it will turn over. So far after a couple of weeks of soaking no luck.

I have never rebuilt a motor before but I am not a complete ID-10-T either. I don't want to even waste money on a repair manual for it if the motor cant be fixed though. At same time I am not familiar with small motors and how to assemble/disassemble them so I would need a manual to examine internals.

Does it sound like I can rebuild this motor?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-09, 09:05 AM
Hmmm,

The first thing I would do is call Sears and ream some people out, May not help the problem but make me feel better.

A siezed engine from lack of oil in most cases cost more to repair than to just replace. All parts wear due to lack of lubrication, Unless you have proper measuing tools your most likely better off replacing.....

One other thing, If everyone checked their oil EVERY time they used their equipment there would be less repair cost.

Good Luck

Old 03-24-09, 02:23 PM
what I figured...

well, I figured the thing is probably toast but if thats the case then I guess I might as well tear it apart and check it out then.

As for checking the oil - the dip stick and filler tube is seperate from the 2 lower oil drain plugs. I did check the oil before using.

The lower cap vibrated off while using it and that is when all the oil got blown out.

Old 03-24-09, 03:30 PM
I'd try checking around for a used engine, possibly one you can hear running; a local lawn/garden guy, maybe?
End of season, there are deals; possibly buy a whole rig from someone goin' South never to return. No shortage of people in Massachusetts leaving the state for good.
Y' know? It wouldn't hurt to give Sears a call, either...
Best of luck

Old 03-24-09, 05:21 PM
Price of new motor...

Well I figured since it has cast iron cylinder sleeves and the rings and maybe piston melted down in the cylinder it might not be much to fix it. Just pull out the sleeve. Of course theres the crank to think of also and with the price of parts I see it probably aint worth fixin with me having never done a rebuild and potential to have problems afterward.

It has both 110v elec. start and pull cord but I did find a place offering what seems to be the same model except diff last 2 digits on the model number and not made for sears for what they say is 60% off - $219 + $20 shipping. It is same 206cc as mine but rated for 7.75 hp instead of 6 hp like mine is. Not sure why that is. It was the only result that came up for my model number.

Does this sound like a good price for a new motor?

I sent them an email with my motor info to see if they can tell me if its a direct bolt in replacement. I don't want a FrankenBlower. LoL

I am pissed the sears subcontractor did not tighten the drainplug fully. They will do nothing cause it was last fall he did the free oil change. I cant say as I blame them since how could they trust it was really that guys fault months before it happened. I worked in service/warranty dept of a mfr myself so I know you cant believe most people's claims...

My lesson is to now always check those yellow plastic drain plugs to make sure they are tight.

Old 03-24-09, 05:38 PM
It sounds like you may have found Small Engine Warehouse, They should know if it's a direct replacement and that is a deal no matter where it is....

Good Luck