12 hp Murray riding lawnmower

Old 03-28-09, 11:07 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
12 hp Murray riding lawnmower

model # 81707
It wouldn't start, so I went and bought a carb. kit. Here are the problems that is now wrong with it.
1.It leaks gas from under the bowl of the carb. where the needle valve adjustment is....yes it does have a gasket on it.
2.The engine will not cut off...so I have to cut off at the valve before the carb. I think the adjustment on the linkage is the problem on that one.
3.The starter doesn't seem strong like it needs to be, but it could be a weak battery.
Any advice out there?? for these 3 problems?
Thanks

Old 03-29-09, 05:23 AM
Can you post the engine model AND type/spec numbers ?

Old 03-29-09, 06:20 AM
I
Problem #1: Either the float has a leak and has gas in it or the seat is not properly installed or has dirt under it. Clean the area where the seat goes in the carb with a Q-tip soaked with carb cleaner.
Problem#2: not sure what you are refering to here. Usually to stop the engine, you shut off the key.
Problem#3: If the battery is more than 2 years old, replace it.

Old 03-29-09, 11:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
#1...repair carb. Needle is not seating due to bad seat, bad needle, bad float, stuck float, or combination of the above.

#2...The kill wire to the coil is not grounding through the keyswitch. Probably a matter of a wire unplugged or a bad switch.

#3...Problem #1 may be contributing to this, since it is probably also leaking fuel into the cylinder causing hydrolock. Fix #1 and if this problem still persists, continue on. I do agree that if the battery is more than 2 yrs old, it's on borrowed time.

Old 03-31-09, 07:16 AM
K
Originally Posted by 31YTech
Can you post the engine model AND type/spec numbers ?
model type code
81707 0415 01 91051411

Old 03-31-09, 07:27 AM
K
Smile

[QUOTE=cheese;1546236
#2...The kill wire to the coil is not grounding through the keyswitch. Probably a matter of a wire unplugged or a bad switch.

[/QUOTE]

It is not a bad switch. On the throttle when you go from fast to slow....mine usually goes off.....Yes, I know I can turn the key to the off position, there must be a wire that is disconnected to the linkage, because it use to cut the lawnmower off. Right now, I don't see a loose wire anywhere.
When you go to slow on the throttle it moves the linkage and when the linkage turns....it slides over some kind of wire which then therefore kills the engine. I just don't see a loose wire anywhere.
By the way, thanks for all ya'lls help.
Kyle

Old 03-31-09, 08:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
If this does have a kill switch on the throttle control, then the single black wire coming from a hole in the shield over the cylinder should go to a nut on the throttle plate. If it is, and still does not shut off, make sure the metal tab that swings over to the kill switch is actually making contact with it.

Old 04-01-09, 04:06 PM
K
I bet cha that is the problem....I'll try to look at it in the next few days.....the grass is getting taller

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: