Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs surging at high RPM

03-24-09, 05:17 PM   #1  
Briggs surging at high RPM

I have a 5 HP briggs engine on a rear tine tiller. Sarts fine and runs well four the first few seconds, then it will surge in RPMs up and down. If I am tillig the engine will maintain a steady RPM. Any one have any ideas? It idles well.

Sponsored Links

MO

03-24-09, 07:45 PM   #2  
Post the engine model, type and code numbers usually found on the engine shroud just above the sparkplug and someone will tell you how to fix it. Have a good one. Geo

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

03-25-09, 07:11 AM   #3  
Posted By: whosnext98 I have a 5 HP briggs engine on a rear tine tiller. Sarts fine and runs well four the first few seconds, then it will surge in RPMs up and down. If I am tillig the engine will maintain a steady RPM. Any one have any ideas? It idles well.
It sounds to me like this is something that I have found common on tillers. I don't know that it is supposed to or not, but as long as it idles and has good steady power under a load, just back off the throttle a bit when not under a load.
I have adjusted the full throttle stop down and get it to smooth out, but sometimes that causes it to lug down under high load.
See if it will smooth out by just backing off full throttle a bit. If it smooths out then try with a load on it.

TN

03-25-09, 08:24 AM   #4  
Model number, etc. would be most helpful. No matter what engine this is I suggest a thorough carburetor cleaning, to include welch plug removal, if applicable.

Search this Thread