Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD 5/24 Snow Blower

03-25-09, 10:06 PM   #1  
MTD 5/24 Snow Blower

I just bought a used MTD 5/24 that I think needs a new/rebuilt carburetor.

The previous owner put a carburetor from a lawnmower on it, that doesn't have the same connections. He gave me the original carburetor, and I cleaned it up, but the blower doesn't start.

Model 310-550-000/J059B

HS50-67267JSER9264B

Any idea when this was originally built?

Any suggestions on how to find a local parts supplier, I am new to my area.

I was looking on partstree.com, but they don't have my model? Also, I don't see any info about the carburetors for any of the models?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

MA

03-26-09, 04:51 AM   #2  
On partstree,enter HS50-67267J in the bottom left box where it says "enter model here" It will bring up your engine and you can buy a carb or see breakdown if you want to attempt rebuilding it, rebuild kit you need is PN# 31840

NH

03-26-09, 05:53 AM   #3  
You need a new carb. Who knows what carb was put on and what size lawn mower it was off. Plus you need the remote primer, not the built in primer used on mowers and the mower carb does not have the primer nozzle. The Tecumseh carb part number you need is 631923 and costs about $85 new.

Last edited by indypower; 03-26-09 at 06:40 AM.

03-26-09, 09:01 AM   #4  
Posted By: smallengineguy On partstree,enter HS50-67267J in the bottom left box where it says "enter model here" It will bring up your engine and you can buy a carb or see breakdown if you want to attempt rebuilding it, rebuild kit you need is PN# 31840
I tried that, but it says it can't find any models like "HS50-67267J "???

Posted By: indypower You need a new carb. Who knows what carb was put on and what size lawn mower it was off. Plus you need the remote primer, not the built in primer used on mowers and the mower carb does not have the primer nozzle. The Tecumseh carb part number you need is 631923 and costs about $85 new.
The previous owner gave me the original carburetor that came on the blower, so I am hoping I can clean it up and rebuild it and get it to work.

I think it has deposits on it that are plugging passageways slightly and also prevents the bowl drain from seating properly.

I am going to pick up some carburetor cleaner and soak all the parts and then use a rebuild kit and hopefully it will work again.

Thanks for your help!

03-26-09, 10:14 PM   #5  
Well, I cleaned up the carburetor and reinstalled it and the blower runs!!! However, it is leaking gas Looks like it is coming out of the choke area

Maybe the inlet needle isn't seating??? Does a rebuild kit include a new inlet needle seat?

I really could have used the blower today in Denver

NH

03-27-09, 06:08 AM   #6  
Yes the rebuild kit includes needle & seat. You may want to check the float and make sure it does float. Tecumseh has an ongoing problem with tiny pinholes in their floats causing them to fill with gas and become sinkers.

03-30-09, 09:42 AM   #7  
Well, I got the carb rebuild kit and rebuilt the carb. There wasn't an inlet needle seat in the carb, so that is why it was leaking. The rebuild kit had a new rubber seat!

I also replaced the original fuel shut-off valve with a plastic 1/4 turn one. A bunch of rust came out of the original, so that obviously needed to be replaced.

I also replaced the fuel line and primer lines.

The blower started right up and runs awesome!!!

I used it to remove the large pile of WET snow from my driveway and it had no problem!!!!

Any ideas how to get a manual for this snowblower?

Any idea how to find out how old it is?

Thanks!!!!

03-30-09, 12:56 PM   #8  
I found the manual!

Still no idea how old it is???

Here is the link to the manual:

http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/D...=770-5900e.pdf

Search this Thread