Lawn mower blades

Old 03-28-09, 05:29 PM
Lawn mower blades

Is there a web site or web sites that go into the various types of blades. What I wanted to know was the theory behind the operation of the various types such as mulching, high lift, hi-vac, ninja (Snapper), thaching and blades that just throw the grass out the discharge. On riding mowers and walk behinds. I'm always asked which blade is best for certain conditions.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-09, 05:53 PM
All depends on what the customer needs are. Such as length of grass, how fast it grows, how often it gets mowed if it gets bagged or not.

Old 03-28-09, 10:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know of any site like that, but never have looked for one either. Regular dual plane mulching blades like most manufacturers employ are designed so that the outer edge cuts the grass and blows it up, then the inner part cuts the clippings and blows them down, and this can happen several times with the same clippings before they get left behind in the lawn. Gator-style mulching blades just have less lift, and cut the grass and some clippings get recut by the blade, and some get shredded a bit by the prongs that serve as the lift. Ninja blades are basically fancy dual plane mulchers. The lower blade cuts it and sends the clippings upwards, the upper blade cuts the clippings and sends them back down. Kind of like a blender.

High lift blades just have a larger lift on them to lift the grass clippings and leaves up and blow them into a bagger. They just move a lot of air to force the stuff up the chute into the bagger. Unfortunately, they also move a lot of sand, so they tend to wear out decks faster on less than perfect lawns. Regular lift blades usually work well with baggers too, and usually are preferred to high lift blades unless the chute tends to clog too much with them. They are also used for regular discharging. I don't know about thatching blades.

Old 03-29-09, 10:05 AM
Thatching blades are just that. They don't have any lift, just tines to loosen the dead grass.
IMHO, they are a poor substitute for a power rake. They kick up a lot of dust and really make the engine lug.

Old 03-29-09, 12:51 PM
Thanks CanuckRoy, Cheese and Indypower for the good information...it is very much appreciated.