Briggs Stratton
model 287707
type 0225 01
code 9510204B

thx

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-09, 09:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are 4 bolts holding it on from the underside (usually 9/16"), and the 1 bolt going through the center of the pulley on the crankshaft (usually 5/8"), then slide the pulley off. Remove the wiring and throttle/choke cable, and lift it off.

Old 03-29-09, 07:33 AM
you make it sound so easy....
the engine block has a hairline crack, I've scored a replacement off of ebay and was trying to get it done yesterday but failed. Initially I was trying to just get the top half off but I do not know how to get the fly wheel off so I decided to take the entire engine off. Now I see that taking off the whole engine would be the easier way to go.

So it is not necessary to take the off flywheel to slide the crankshaft off ???

Old 03-29-09, 10:09 AM
You do not need to remove the flywheel to get the engine off the mower. If you are completely disassembling the engine then yes, the flywheel comes off.
Cheese does make it sound easy and he is right. The tough part may be getting the belt pulley off the shaft, they can be a bear once corroded on. Soak it with Rust Reaper or something similar

Old 03-29-09, 12:35 PM
ok, got the engine off and was able to split it. What I got off of ebay was the block w/o head and the oil sump. The block was also without the flywheel so I'd have to get that off of my engine. This begs the question, How does the flywheel come off. I've taken off everything that I could; piston, governor, rods, gears. Only thihg that is left is the camshaft and flywheel.

More or less I'm gonna end up doing a rebuild.

Also, I'd be needing a couple diagrams, for the reassembly.

the help is most appreciated too.

Old 03-29-09, 11:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your local advance auto or autozone should have a haynes manual for small engines, also most hardware stores carry them or briggs manuals. I recommend picking one up so you have the full instructions and all measurements, torque specs, etc... at your fingertips. The flywheel is generally removed with a flywheel puller. A steering wheel puller works well...can be rented at autozone.

Old 04-24-09, 07:28 AM
ok guys the rebulid is complete and was succesful. Put everything back together and fired right up...only thing now is some smoke....but I'm thinking that is just grease that is burning off. I pit a little grease on the shafts and such. Have tested it yet because it is still lifted...will check today.