Husqvarna 128LD rope rewind problem, weedeater

Old 03-29-09, 11:35 AM
Husqvarna 128LD rope rewind problem, weedeater

Hello everyone.
I bought a Husqvarna 128 LD with the attachment capability two weeks ago. It worked like a dream last week and has been used maybe 1.5 hours total. Today I went to start it and let it warm up so I could put the hedge trimmer attachment on it. When I pulled the starter rope it turned over a bit but the rope never retracted.
Is this a simple fix I could do myself or should I go through the hassle of warranty repair? The rope did not break, just will not rewind. I called their 800 number and of course it is M-F 8am to 8pm. No help for today.
Anyone know anything about these weedeaters?
Thanks as always,
Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-09, 11:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You may have a broken return spring. You should be able to fix it yourself...just remove the starter mechanism and inspect.

Old 03-30-09, 01:16 PM
Hey,
It was easy enough to remove but I was not sure what I should really be seeing. I could see the spring under a white plastic sprag like piece that engages the shaft. As I turned the piece counter clockwise the sring spirals would start to push out a bit at the edges. There was one torx bolt holding all that together but I feared removing it would let things loose. There was a little indention hole in the edge of the plastic that had nothing in it, is the a piece of the metal spring that should catch in that?

Thanks,
Rob

Old 03-30-09, 08:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take the torx screw out and lift the rope spool out to see what has come loose.

Old 03-30-09, 08:24 PM
I took a look at it again tonight. I undid the one screw that help the sprag thing a bit and all of a sudden it would right back in , rope and all. I tightened it up a bit, pulled it a few times and it zipped right back in. I am thinking back in business, put it back on and pull the rope and there she stayed, hanging out. Repeat and loosen and it rolled back in. I am returning it to lowes tomorrow but does that shed any insight to the problem? It was like the one screw was a shade too tight to let it retract till I loosened it a few turns. I thought Husqvarna was supposed to be good equipment so I hope the new one I swap for (only had it two weeks, they give you 30 days to exchange I found out today) is trouble free for the first 2 hours at least. I am just curious what caused the trouble and if it is something I should have tried to fix given my moderate mechanical abilities.

Thanks as always,
Rob

Old 03-30-09, 11:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Husqvarna is generally top end stuff. They make a few lower end models too, but the trimmer you have looks to be a good one. I suspect maybe a plastic part had a casting tag or burr of some sort that was hanging up or something out of the ordinary. I wouldn't expect to have trouble with another unit.

Old 03-31-09, 06:44 PM
Thanks Cheese. I am one of these that loves to fix it myself but I guess return for a new unit would be best. I may take it apart one last time to see what is behind there and how it works. Parents always hated that side of me as a kid.
Guess that spring will not fly out, seems like as you back the screw out there is not really much pressure on it. Safety googles of course.

Any need to change the grease in the drivetrain for the lower gears on the trimmer? Manual mentions making sure it is 3/4 full and that replacement is not needed unless repairs are made to it but I bbelieve in PM so would changing it each season prolong life of unit and what grease goes in it?

Thanks again,
Rob

Old 03-31-09, 07:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I generally use "00" grease in gear drives on trimmers, but check your manual and see what is recommended.

The spring may very well come flying out if it is under tension (which it is unless you unwind it first). It can be a tricky task to put the spring back in, so you might want to just trade it for a new one unless you feel confident.

Old 04-02-09, 01:45 PM
Hey Cheese,
Went ahead and traded it in. I got the new one yesterday but was busy till about 10 last night. Fired the new one up this morning before work for the heck of it. Seems to be fine. It was a little sluggish at first but then again it was the first time running in who knows how long (Could smell gas in tank though dry so I guess they test them at factory somehow) and it was only run 2 minutes so maybe it just needed to warm up. I will run the heck out of it this weekend. Mowing, weedeating, trimming hedge with attachment on weedeater.

Hope these things can handle the attachments.
Thanks for the tips on it.
Rob

Old 04-02-09, 06:49 PM
Bogging down

Hey Cheese,
Well, the hedge trimmmer attachment works pretty good. Have a question though. This trimmer wants to bog down if I let it idle for 15 to 30 seconds. On accel it will bog and I have to ease up on throttle and slowly advance it. Other times it will accel fine. What is up with this? Should I return this one and get another or is this part of breaking the engine in? Last one did not do this. Using same tank of gas I had in last one.

Should I give it a little time and see what happens? Also, have you guys ever heard of a mix called Opti-2 made by interlube international? Came recommended by a local repair shop. They say it is synthetic but I see nothing on packaging indicating this but it does have a fuel stabilizer which is a plus.

Thanks all,
Rob

Old 04-02-09, 08:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's hesitating to rev up, it is running a bit lean. With epa restrictions like they are, engine manufacturers are setting them as lean as possible to reduce emissions. Open the high speed mixture screw if it has one you can adjust. Opti2 is well known as a quality additive.

Old 04-03-09, 07:24 AM
Thanks Cheese. I will see if I can locate the mixture screw and open it up a bit. Surprised me a bit cause the other one did not do that at all but I guess they all vary a bit from the factory. I will look under some of the covers and see if I can find the screw and if not I will post back.
Thanks for all the help,
Rob

Search this Thread