Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Will not turn over/stuck in gear

03-29-09, 04:47 PM   #1  
Will not turn over/stuck in gear

I have a MTD model number 13BH670F062 with a Briggs and Stratton engin model number 281707.

-Problem one we cannot get the lawn mower in nuetral.

-Problem two the engine will not turn over.

So far I have replaced the dead battery and the starter selenoid. The starter works fine. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

TN

03-29-09, 05:55 PM   #2  
Transmission - check shift linkage for binding and full movement. If binding disconnect at the transmission and attempt to operate the shift fork on the transmission. If you feel binding or no movement, the problem is internal to the transmission. This is actually a simple transmission to repair.

I need a better explanation of the engine no starting problem. Are you saying the starter engages but will not turn the engine over? What is the type number after the engine model number?

03-29-09, 06:09 PM   #3  
The type number is 1154-E1.

You are correct the starter engages but cannot turn the engine over.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-29-09, 11:25 PM   #4  
As for the tranny, make sure the brake is not stuck. Usually the brake on the side of the tranny gets stuck and will not allow the mower to roll, even if you get the shifter in neutral.

On the starter, can you turn the engine by hand? If so, adjust the valves on the engine assuming this is an ohv engine (didn't look up the type number). If not ohv, then take the spark plug out and see if it will turn.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

03-30-09, 02:44 PM   #5  
work is holding me back from messing with it for a couple of weeks, so I'll have to get back in touch when I have time. Thanks for the starting points!

Search this Thread