Ariens Snowblower

Old 04-04-09, 07:36 AM
Ariens Snowblower

Gonna try and change the helicon pinion shaft and the helicon gear on a Ariens snowblower model #10995. The main impeller spins strong but the two augers in front wont spin at all, and yes I checked the sheer pins. I have never done this repair myself are there any tips or special tools i should know about?Any input would be appreciated.Beer 4U2

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-09, 07:55 AM
The best way is to remove the scoop from the tractor half .
The hard part will be removing the drive pulley as it is most likely rusted. Once that is removed, you can remove the side bolts holding the auger on, then pull the whole thing out as an assembly. This makes it so much easier to replace the gears.
Make sure you have a small tube of RTV to seal the gear box and you also need a tube of the gearbox lube.

Old 04-04-09, 08:34 AM
Where can I find a manual for this model? or photos, instructons for this repair, tried looking, but didnt have much luck. Can somebody post a link or point me in the right direction that would be great.

Old 04-04-09, 03:18 PM
Mac111, The Ariens website has an awesome parts look-up. No instructions,tho... The ariens site will @ least show you where the parts go.. Roger

Old 04-04-09, 04:44 PM
The Ariens site lets you donwload owners, parts or sevice manuals. Just type in the model number, serial number, check which manual you want and which languge.

Old 04-05-09, 06:54 AM
The ariens site will @ least show you where the parts go.. Roger[/QUOTE]

LOL, took a look, the diagrams are great! I am sure I will have more questions once I start on this project. thanks.

Old 04-05-09, 02:06 PM
Before you tear it down and spend the money for the gears, check reference #49 on the IPL, it is a roll pin and if sheared augers will not turn. If you tip machine back on handles and open gear oil fill hole and you can see it. Could be a $1.00 fix. If it is roll pin you can replace through fill hole also without opening up gearbox. I have had several machines where this is the problem.

Old 04-05-09, 02:35 PM
thats the roll pin that locks the helicon gear on to the front gear shaft #26? if it did come out or broke how hard is it to get the old one out or could it do any more damage after it came loose. I hope its that easy, what tool would you use to get the new one in (needlenose and a punch?)

Old 04-05-09, 04:51 PM
Not too difficult. I remove bucket as mentioned above so I can stand unit with fill hole placing up (towards sky). Punch old one out, do not worry about retrieving. I file new roll pin at a slight angle so it is easier to drop into hole. Rather than needle nose, use a thin punch that will fit into center of new roll pin. Slide roll up punch and hold, place punch through fill hole into hole in gear, slide roll pin down, remove thin punch and using proper size punch, strike to install. Hope it makes sense