Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wheel cap on craftsmen lawn tractor.

04-05-09, 12:17 AM   #1  
Wheel cap on craftsmen lawn tractor.

I have a craftsmen 42" riding lawn tractor that has been sitting up for two years. And now I need to use and the rear tire is flat. I tried airing up but it will not take air due to it is pushed in off the rim. So I need to take the tire off but I don't know how to get the vinyl wheel cap off. Any help would be great!!!!

Sponsored Links

NH

04-05-09, 05:40 AM   #2  
just pry it off with a screwdriver

FL

04-05-09, 06:15 AM   #3  
Warm it up with a hair dryer then bend a hook in a coat hanger, hook the inside edge and it will pull right off.

Re-warm to re-install......

Last edited by 31YTech; 04-05-09 at 06:55 AM.

04-05-09, 09:17 AM   #4  
Thanks! I will give it a try.

PA

04-05-09, 10:35 AM   #5  
When removing the wheel, keep an eye open for the small metal key that fits in the slot of the axle and a matching slot inside the wheel hub. That key prevents the wheel from spinning on the axle and locks it in place. If you loose the key, it's easily replaceable at any auto parts store. Without the key, your tractor won't go forward or backward as the axle will spin inside the hub.

04-05-09, 02:38 PM   #6  
Thanks! I will try later this week due to the weather. Old man winter is coming back around again. Hopefully for the last time this spring. Forecasting snow here Monday & Tuesday.

MO

04-05-09, 03:16 PM   #7  
Something to try;
Raise the tractor off the ground and wrap a belt or rope around the tire then sinch/tighten the belt to force the tire back to the rim, wet the tire/rim area with soapy water then air it up, works for me. Have a good one. Geo

Super Moderator

AZ

04-05-09, 03:36 PM   #8  
Thats what I was thinking..but I thought maybe I was off base. Put a rope and a stick, sorta like a tourniquet, around the middle of the tire. Not as fancy as the pneumatic ones I used to see, but it should work. A ratchet type cargo strap would work probably as well.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

04-05-09, 09:37 PM   #9  
Thanks guys! I will try that before I take the wheel off. Will let ya'll know how it turns out.

04-20-09, 09:40 PM   #10  
Thanks everyone!!! Well, I decided to take the tire off---Thanks for telling me about the key in the wheel & the hair dryer did the trick to get the cap off. And the cargo strap did the trick to get the tire to hold air. I cut the grass and the tire did great!! Thanks guys!!! So Ladies you can do it also and save alot of money!!!! Again thanks!!!!

Search this Thread