Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bolens with 15hp Briggs won't start.

04-06-09, 04:44 PM   #1  
Bolens with 15hp Briggs won't start.

Have a Bolens with a 15hp Briggs and Stratton motor and the problem I'm having is it won't always start. Replaced the battery with a new one and still no good. What happens is I turn the key and it only makes about 1/4 revelution and stops. Turn the key again and just clicks. But if I turn the motor by hand (with key off) to get past the compression stroke it';; crank over fine and start. I even took the battery out of my Cub Cadet 2 cylinder Kohler and same thing. Any ideas? Cleaned the terminals and even charged the battery. Seems like some sort of compression release isn't working, but does it have one? Only about 2 years old with low hours.

Sponsored Links

FL

04-06-09, 04:57 PM   #2  
Bearcamp,

The answer to your problem is in this thread;

http://forum.doityourself.com/outdoo...ning-over.html

Good Luck

04-07-09, 01:01 PM   #3  
Okay I adjusted the valves just as the post said and it didn't work. I actually had to adjust the exhaust valve to zero lash to get it to work. And then it still like locked up on the compression stroke sometimes but not always.

FL

04-07-09, 03:07 PM   #4  
Are you SURE you had the engine rotated with the piston on top dead center compression stroke then 1/4" piston movement past ?

It sounds like you may have been on exhaust stroke if you adjusted one to zero lash.

This procedure in most cases solves hard starting as you explained.

If you are SURE of the above, It's possible you have a worn/broken compression release on the cam.

This can be checked by rotating the engine clockwise slowly by hand and watching the intake valve rocker, As the piston travels up the cylinder on compression stroke the rocker will let the valve close.

Once the valve is closed continue to rotate the engine watching the rocker, The rocker should open the valve back up about 1/8" then close it again. At this point the piston will be at top dead center, The short opening of the valve the second time is the compression release working properly.

If you don't see this second opening of the valve as mentioned above your problem will likely be a non-functioning worn/broken compression release.

Good Luck

04-07-09, 04:36 PM   #5  
Thanks, I'll check it again tomorrow.

Search this Thread