Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Adding a fuel Pump

04-06-09, 07:48 PM   #1  
Adding a fuel Pump

Hey guys. I've got an old Murray riding mower I'm playing with with a briggs and stratton engine. Right now the fuel is gravity fed to the carb but I want to move the tank and use a fuel pump. I checked out the IPL for this engine and it has a part number for a fuel pump, but I'm wondering where the vacuum line would attach from the engine? The engine numbers are: 252707/ 0623-01/ 83060411. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-06-09, 08:27 PM   #2  
The pulse line would connect to any opening to the crankcase. If the engine didn't come equipped with a fuel pump, it probably doesn't have a fitting to connect one to. You can drill and tap a hole and insert a threaded barb into the crankcase up high, using a vacuum to suck all the shavings away so as not to get any in the engine interior.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-07-09, 07:14 PM   #3  
Thanks, cheese. So I guess I don't want to go into the cylinder, just the cranckcase. Do I need to worry about oil getting in the line or is there not enough to get that high?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-07-09, 10:04 PM   #4  
That's why I suggest putting the barb high since the oil level is below the sump to block gasket. Angle it downwards so that oil doesn't accumulate there. Some oil will get in the fitting and hose, but it won't affect anything.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-08-09, 05:33 PM   #5  
cool, thanks again, cheese. I'll give it a try

Search this Thread