carb puffing white smoke

Old 04-10-09, 06:39 AM
carb puffing white smoke

I have a briggs model 190702 with a large one-piece flo-jet carb. it is on a snapper tiller. I have rebuilt the carb and have the main jet and the idle mixture screw at 1 1/2 turns out. I have tried to adjust it but can't seem to get it right. it keeps puffing out white smoke every so often. what do i need to do? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-09, 06:28 PM
Sounds like your getting air into the system . Intake, gasket or a valve not seating properly

Old 04-10-09, 07:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Air leaks don't cause white smoke... (?)

White smoke (bluish grey) on a small engine is generally oil burning. Black smoke is fuel. Is the oil level overfull? Does the oil smell like gas?

Old 04-11-09, 04:45 AM
the oil looks fine and does not smell like gas. I have found that some one worked on the engine and I don't know what they may have done. It puffs the white smoke mostly when I throttle up. I tried adjusting the carb but no success.

Old 04-11-09, 09:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like an old unit, and your description of the smoke sounds like worn rings.

Old 04-14-09, 05:58 AM
Diagnostics fer-shere

As I was trying to explain internal leakage, I over looked the fact of white smoke being air and oil leaking past the rings and/or valves.Im thinking coolant as in leaking head gasket, which produces stumble and white smoke in automobile applications I apologize for My misrepresentation.

Old 04-15-09, 12:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No problem...apology not necessary. Just trying to keep the diagnostic process in a logical order.