Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

carb puffing white smoke

AL

04-10-09, 06:39 AM   #1  
carb puffing white smoke

I have a briggs model 190702 with a large one-piece flo-jet carb. it is on a snapper tiller. I have rebuilt the carb and have the main jet and the idle mixture screw at 1 1/2 turns out. I have tried to adjust it but can't seem to get it right. it keeps puffing out white smoke every so often. what do i need to do? thanks

Sponsored Links

04-10-09, 06:28 PM   #2  
Sounds like your getting air into the system . Intake, gasket or a valve not seating properly

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-10-09, 07:08 PM   #3  
Air leaks don't cause white smoke... (?)

White smoke (bluish grey) on a small engine is generally oil burning. Black smoke is fuel. Is the oil level overfull? Does the oil smell like gas?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

04-11-09, 04:45 AM   #4  
the oil looks fine and does not smell like gas. I have found that some one worked on the engine and I don't know what they may have done. It puffs the white smoke mostly when I throttle up. I tried adjusting the carb but no success.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-11-09, 09:12 PM   #5  
Sounds like an old unit, and your description of the smoke sounds like worn rings.

God bless!

04-14-09, 05:58 AM   #6  
Diagnostics fer-shere

As I was trying to explain internal leakage, I over looked the fact of white smoke being air and oil leaking past the rings and/or valves.Im thinking coolant as in leaking head gasket, which produces stumble and white smoke in automobile applications I apologize for My misrepresentation.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-15-09, 12:15 AM   #7  
No problem...apology not necessary. Just trying to keep the diagnostic process in a logical order.

God bless!

Search this Thread