Craftsman mower starting with out key

Old 04-11-09, 10:03 AM
Question Craftsman mower starting with out key

I have a craftsman mower model 917.272860 22. Hp LT2000. I have been having to use the battery charger on my battery to start the mower so I decided to get a new one this year. i changed the plugs while I was at it. When I put the new battery in it still would not start. I went to check the solenoid and broke a bolt so had to replace. still nothing. I don't know what I did but it finally started. When I went to cut the mower off it stay running even with the key out. I could hear what sounded like the starter was still running. I got another starter for the mower and when I put that on and went to put the battery cables on the battery it is trying to crank and the key is not in the switch. What's going on? What should I check? Did I hook one of the wires up wrong at the solenoid?
Thanks

Last edited by star82397; 04-11-09 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-09, 10:32 AM
never mind finally found problem. It was one of the plastic connectors not all the way connected. maybe the post will help someone if they come across the same problem.

Old 04-17-09, 03:34 PM
need help. I thought we had the problem fixed. Mowed today. When I went to put the lawnmower away and I cut the key off it sounded like the starter was still trying to run so I took the positive battery cable off the battery to get the lawnmower to cut off. I can't put the battery cable back on the battery or the mower tries to start without the key. Please help!! I am very behind on mowing where it's been raining.

Old 04-17-09, 09:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Either there is power on the small wire that plugs onto the solenoid, or the solenoid is bad. Sounds like you are wrenching down way too tight on the solenoid and distorting it internally? (if you broke one of the lugs overtightening it on the last one). Or, just a defective solenoid?

Old 04-26-09, 12:54 PM
Smile thanks

Thanks Cheese that was the problem. The solenoid had a crack in it. Put a new one one the mower runs great.

Old 04-27-09, 12:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad we could help!