How to test the battery of the lawn mover ?

Old 04-12-09, 11:49 AM
How to test the battery of the lawn mover ?

I have MTD yard machine 13 HP 38" lawn mover tracktor.
(Model MTD 13BH670F062)

battery : Workahollic : SP 30R 230 CCA 290 CA

End of last season I took off the battery from lawn mover and today I am trying to install it back.

I connected "+"ve to RED and "-"ve to black wire of the lawn mover. PUt the gas on the mover and gave the ignition.

It just sound "tranck"!! and that's it it does not do anything now even if I gave multiple ignition/starters..

So, I wanted to test/check if the battery is good. I baught a new battery last season only!

any help ?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-09, 12:24 PM
Take it to Autozone, Advance or Walmart, they will check it for you. Have a good one. Geo

Old 04-12-09, 04:19 PM
To properly test a battery, You have to charge it for a few hours @ a low charge. You than need to put a ""Load Test"" on it. This simulates the draw the starter puts on the battery & lets you know the condition of it under working load. Do not just use a voltmeter as they will only show the static charge voltage & tell you nothing about the condition of the battery.. As Geo says, it's just as easy to run it to Auto-zone & have it tested.. Check the electrolite in it & give it a charge first... Roger

Old 04-12-09, 04:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are the battery connections tight?

Old 04-16-09, 02:29 PM
I am just trying to start my lawn mover after 5-months. last season (I baught a new battey) and took it off from the mover, now I put it back and starter doesn't work

So first guess is that battery is discharged and I want to test it (that it works fine )and get it charged somehow.

BTW, does any one know when do I need to put distilled water in the battery ?

I was reading some forums and they say to maintain battery one needs to drain/?? the battery and put water in it ?

Old 04-16-09, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by diy50 View Post
BTW, does any one know when do I need to put distilled water in the battery ?
You need to top off the cells with distilled water only when they get low. You open then up and look.

I was reading some forums and they say to maintain battery one needs to drain/?? the battery and put water in it ?
Ummm, no. You never drain the electrolyte from your battery for normal maintenance. Even accidentally mixing the electrolyte from different cells would screw things up, so if one does drain it for whatever reason you need to be meticulous about it. I'd sure love the link to that forum where they are feeding you this stuff.

Old 04-16-09, 05:03 PM
When they said to "drain" the battery some, they meant run it down to a state of half charge so it will take a full charge. They did NOT mean drain out the electrolite (battery acid).

Old 04-16-09, 07:03 PM
thank you for your prompt reply.

OK, so local auto-zone said they don't have the equipment to test low volate battery.

and pep-boyes said they would charge me $12 +Tx. Now the battery it self costs $50. I dont' know if the battery really works (eventhough I baught it last year). New Battery charger costs $25-$30 (Homedepot).

So, I guess my best option is to buy a battery charger. what do you guys suggest?

Old 04-16-09, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by diy50 View Post
thank you for your prompt reply.

OK, so local auto-zone said they don't have the equipment to test low volate battery.

and pep-boyes said they would charge me $12 +Tx. Now the battery it self costs $50. I dont' know if the battery really works (eventhough I baught it last year). New Battery charger costs $25-$30 (Homedepot).

So, I guess my best option is to buy a battery charger. what do you guys suggest?
Low voltage? This is a 12 volt battery. Cars use 12 volt batteries. I think he meant he could not test that low of cca. I would think if they sell lawn mower batteries, they would have a way to test them. Buy the battery charger cuz you can use it on your car battery, too.

Old 04-17-09, 11:09 AM
I am not sure what voltage in car battery, I had never chared it or jumped it.

so for lawn mover battery with is the good battery charger ?