Craftsman Lawnmower won't start

Old 04-13-09, 08:04 AM
Craftsman Lawnmower won't start

Hi,

I bought Craftsman Lawnmower 2 yrs back and yesterday I was trying to use it but it won't start. I've changed oil, spark plug and filter but stll no luck. When I try to start by pulling it's string, it gets harder to pull all the way after few pullings.
Please let me what to do next. thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-09, 09:26 AM
Pleas post the Craftsman Model number and the model number for the engine and someone will help you. Sound like it might have too much oil in it. Have a good one. Geo

Old 04-13-09, 11:45 AM
It's Craftsman Dustblocker Exclusive 6.75 mrs 21" cut
Model:917.376551
Serial#022205M015081.

Thank you.

Old 04-15-09, 07:27 PM
Does it try to pull the starter rope out of you're hand?? If so,check the flywheel key..It may be partially sheared causing this problem,,,. Roger

Old 04-18-09, 05:32 PM
Thanks for ur reply. Could u plz let me know how to change/replace flywheel? And how does it look like? Thanks.

Old 04-18-09, 07:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The flywheel is the fan looking round part on top of your engine. You have to remove the engine shroud to access it. You shouldn't have to replace it, just the key if it is sheared. Remove the flywheel nut and you can observe the key and keyway from above. If the keyways are lined up perfectly, the key is fine.

Old 04-18-09, 09:41 PM
Thanks for ur help. After I removed all the engine shroud, I see one big screw on top of one cup like thingy(I guess that's the flywheel), do I have to unscrew that big screw to access flywheel key?

Thanks again.

Old 04-18-09, 09:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes. There is a notch in the flywheel and a notch in the crankshaft that the nut is threaded on. If they are lined up, the key is ok. If they are off even the slightest amount, the key is bad. The flywheel is not the cup, but the big round part with fins under it.

Old 05-10-09, 06:04 PM
Thumbs down Craftsman 6.75 MRS Lawnmower w/ Briggs & Stratton

Hi,

I bought a Craftsman 6.75 MRS Lawnmower with a Briggs & Stratton engine a couple of years ago. The mower has wintered in my garage, with very little fuel left in it. When I try to start it, it does start, but immediately stalls out. I've added fuel, checked the spark plug and still get the same results. I figured that it had something to do with the choke and removed the cover to check it. Upon doing so, I discovered the motor has an Auto Choke feature which is not accessible. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Old 05-10-09, 07:12 PM
Andyp
You should start a new thread so it doesn't get confused with the on you hooked on to. However you have left fuel in a carb for 2 years it has turned to mostly varnish so you must remove the carb and clean it. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-10-09, 07:59 PM
Thank you, I wasn't sure how to start a new topic. I'm really not computer savvy.

Search this Thread