Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S 6.0HP won't stay running

04-16-09, 08:04 AM   #1  
B&S 6.0HP won't stay running

2001 Briggs and Stratton 6.0 hp Craftsman 22" Mower. Mower starts fine, but dies after about 10min. I figured the carb needed a rebuild so I took it to my local small engine repair shop for a rebuild. They replaced the gaskets and cleaned and rebuilt the carb. Unfortunately, it did not resolve the issue. I was planning on taking it back to the repair shop to have them look at it again, but they won't be able to get to my mower for four weeks. One additional point. The primer bulb seems to work, but not very well. So, after it the engine died I took fuel from the tank with a straw and manually feed it into the carb to speed things along....I needed to finish the lawn before dark. It started right back up, but died after 10 minutes. Any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links

04-16-09, 08:22 AM   #2  
Try loosening your gas cap after 5 mins or after it dies. If the cap is not venting it can restrict flow to the carb, which might also explain the primer question.

04-16-09, 11:11 AM   #3  
Thanks for your help! I'll give it a shot and will let you know how it runs.

04-28-09, 10:07 AM   #4  
Loosening the gas cap helped, so I bought a new cap. Now it runs for about 30 minutes before it dies. However, if I wait a minute or two then prime it, the engine starts back up and will run for another 30 minutes. It's not he perfect mower, but it gets the job done. Thanks for your help.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-28-09, 10:14 PM   #5  
Could be a fuel line collapsing internally, a carb problem, or a failing ignition coil. Most likely one of the first 2.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread