Craftsman mid egine rider wont go forward

Old 04-16-09, 04:39 PM
Craftsman mid egine rider wont go forward

Have a 4 year old Craftsman mid engine rider with hydrostatic transmission that does not want to go forward. It will back up but when I move it to forward it moves very slow for a few feet then acts like it kicks out of gear . Get an occasional click when backing, but in forward just the short move and then a spinning noise. Have replaced the motion belt but the one I took off was really good looking. Hoping you guys can help me out here.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-09, 10:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What led up to this? Was it a gradual failure or sudden? Is the belt tight? Have you had a rear wheel off lately?

Old 04-17-09, 04:18 AM
It was working fine, then started "bucking" (almost loike a wheel slipping) on turns then it just quit going forwards. I did have both rear wheels off when I changed the motion belt. Both have the keys in the axle. The belt is pretty tight.

Old 04-17-09, 09:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That doesn't sound good . Check the input pulley to be sure it isn't messed up where it fits on the input shaft of the tranny. If all is good there, I think you have internal problems in the tranny.

Old 04-18-09, 04:31 AM
Would that be the pulley on top of the transmission that the motion belt goes on?
Also, if it is internal, would I need to replace both the transaxle and the hydro or just one of the two?

Last edited by Ttomes; 04-18-09 at 06:59 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-18-09, 10:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hard to say...part of the description sounds like pump failure but the bucking sounds like gear problems. I think I'd just ask the shops around about an entire used tranny assembly. You could check the fluid in the pump for gray coloration and metal flakes. If it is that way, the pump is probably bad.