Briggs & Stratton 18.5 HP Twin II - No fuel to Carb

Old 04-17-09, 01:16 AM
Question Briggs & Stratton 18.5 HP Twin II - No fuel to Carb

I was searching for help with my mower and found a thread that sounded very similar to my problem. I was not able to post to that thread because it was closed.

I have a Briggs & Stratton model 42A707 type 1652-01 engine with a 3-bolt fuel pump attached to the front of the carburetor. Fuel is available to the inlet of the fuel pump, but no fuel gets into the carburetor.

Some the things I have tried include (not necessarily in chronological order):
disconnected the fuel line going to the bottom port on the fuel pump to confirm there was fuel - it flowed freely;
put fresh fuel in the tank;
changed the oil;
cleaned the carburetor (I didn't soak it and I didn't remove the main jet, but I took the carburetor apart, sprayed carb cleaner through every hole I could find to verify that it was clear, including the main jet, cleaned off any residue I found, ran a small tool through each hole to confirm they were clear, cleaned the float);
installed the carburetor & fuel pump rebuild kit (gaskets, diaphragms, needle, springs, etc.);
disassembled and reassembled the fuel pump multiple times to confirm that it was assembled the way the drawing showed - confirmed that the small springs, large spring & metal ring, diaphragms, & gaskets were all in place;
confirmed that there was suction (pulsing) on the line connected to the side port on the fuel pump coming from the engine when cranking;
simulated a pulsing suction by connecting / disconnecting a vacuum line to the side port on the fuel pump to see if any fuel came through to the carburetor (none did);
poured fuel into the carburetor, which caused the engine to run for a few seconds - did this several times on the advice of someone who said this would help prime the pump - still did not get any fuel to the carburetor;
removed the plug (that provides access to the main jet) on the side of the carburetor - no fuel came out;
applied a small amount of air pressure to the gas tank to see if that would help push fuel through - carburetor still dry;
checked for a wire that would indicate a solenoid valve on the fuel line or carburetor - didn't find one;
checked the fuel pump body for cracks - didn't find any;
tried tightening / loosening the 3 screws that hold the fuel pump in place, to see if that would help any fuel to get through - when loose, fuel would enter the fuel pump, but would still not flow through to the carburetor;
using the old diaphragm, cut off the small valve flaps (& removed the associated small springs) to see if fuel could flow through - none did.

There may be other things I've tried that I just can't recall now (getting late). Do you have any ideas to help get this motor running? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-09, 01:58 AM
Perhaps an "Aha Moment?"

After going back to bed, I thought maybe the lines were connected to the wrong ports on the fuel pump. Is the fuel line supposed to connect to the side port instead of the bottom port? (I bought the riding mower used, and the fuel line was connected to the bottom port; vacuum to the side port). I'm going to try to switch them to see if that fixes the problem.

Old 04-17-09, 06:26 AM
Elation (& Embarrassment)

Swapping the hoses solved the problem.

That's probably why the people who sold it to me were having the same problem.

I appreciate this website, and will probably be back for help with other small engines. Thank you!

Old 04-17-09, 09:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it fixed! ....and before we could even comment!

Old 05-13-09, 07:36 PM
Same Mower - Different Problem

The brakes on this mower don't seem to work. At first I thought they were just slow to stop, but it appears that they may not be working at all. It is a Murray GT model 46379x92A garden tractor, 46 inch cutting deck, 5 speed "peerless transaxle".

What would I need to do to make the brakes work on this riding mower?

Old 05-13-09, 11:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look underneath at the brake assy on the side of the tranny. It should be activating when you press the pedal. If it is and still isn't stopping, tighten the 1/2" nut where the brake level is mounted a little, try it again, and if still not stopping, adjust a little more until you get it stopping or you run out of adjustment. If you run out of adjustment, you'll need to replace the brake pucks.

Old 05-15-09, 08:39 PM
Thanks for your help. I tightened the nut with no improvement. When I took the assy apart to replace the pucks, I found that the two pins were stuck, so I cleaned & lubricated them, reassembled & adjusted. Now the brakes are working great! Thanks again.

Old 05-15-09, 09:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job! .................glad to help!

Old 06-17-10, 07:57 AM
Thanks

I am having the same problem. Went through the same steps. I even just got this from a guy who let it sit for 2 years. Now I never would have guessed the lines were reversed but I will try it. Hopefully it works! Thanks for the post.

Old 06-23-10, 05:37 AM
Great Post

Please Help Me did a great job explaining his Twin 2 problem. My Twin 2 is running good this year after all kinds of problems it seems last year. Please points out all sorts of things to check on a non running machine. Keep up the great work guys. Thanks!

Old 06-24-10, 11:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Could be any of these: Bad fuel pump, blown fuse or broken wire (if you have an electric pump), dirty fuel filter, blocked fuel line, fuel line leaking, no gas in the tank.

Last edited by cheese; 06-26-10 at 06:49 PM. Reason: removal of spam sig line